The Web Site

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

solicitr wrote:Another thing: there's a great deal of useful educational information hidden under addresses like "www.woodworkingtablesaw.com", with no obvious link from the Shopsmith page. These all need to be grouped under "education", and given new URLs like "shopsmith.tablesaw.com.

It wouldn't hurt if the B&W photos were replaced by spiffy new color ones (they do look rather like an old shop textbook), but that's luxury money.
Here is a page with numerous other links.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/links.htm

To navigate to this page go to Shopsmith in the navigation bar and click on "Links"
Shopsmith I.T.
mbuongirno
Bronze Member

Web Site

Post by mbuongirno »

I agree with all the comments on the web site. The fact that you can't buy a new shopsmith on the website OR the catalog is rediculous, but worse, you can't even find a price!

The one thing no one seems to have mentioned is that you can't see a list of all your orders. You can from the confirmation email they send you, but you can't do it from the web site. So once you lose that email, you can't see what has shipped, mot shipped, or is back ordered.

I buy off the internet constantly and this web site rates at the bottom of the list.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

mbuongirno wrote:I agree with all the comments on the web site. The fact that you can't buy a new shopsmith on the website OR the catalog is rediculous, but worse, you can't even find a price!

The one thing no one seems to have mentioned is that you can't see a list of all your orders. You can from the confirmation email they send you, but you can't do it from the web site. So once you lose that email, you can't see what has shipped, mot shipped, or is back ordered.

I buy off the internet constantly and this web site rates at the bottom of the list.
Here is part of what you wanted:
http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/purchaseNB.htm

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

Nick wrote:Your telling me stuff I didn't know. woodworkingtablesaw.com? Where the heck did that come from? By the way, it's nothing more than a rehash of the table saw chapter in "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone."

I have to be candid here, despite the fact that Drew and I are contracted to Shopsmith. I am continually amazed (and annoyed) at all the twists and turns in this web site. Sometimes I feel like I'm lost in the Winchester Mansion. (See http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/ .) This lack of a logical organization, I believe, is what makes it difficult to navigate.

With all good wishes,
Nick,

There is a lot more of these sites. Click on Shopsmith in the menu and then click on links. here is a direct link:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/shopsmithindex.htm
Shopsmith I.T.
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

mbuongirno wrote:I agree with all the comments on the web site. The fact that you can't buy a new shopsmith on the website OR the catalog is rediculous, but worse, you can't even find a price!

To purchase a MARK V or to get MARK V pricing click on "MARK V Information" on Shopsmith.com. Then you will see a link in the navigation bar called "MARK V Pricing". This will take you to a page where you can get pricing or purchase a MARK V. We may add a link in the body of the MARK V pages for those who are not finding it in the navigation bar.
Shopsmith I.T.
W3DRM
Gold Member

Post by W3DRM »

What is really needed is a full "Site Map" of the SS website. This has been asked for previously but seemed to be brushed off for some reason. Before anyone can really make improvements in the website, they must fully understand what exists today. Putting together a full list of everything on the existing site isn't a trivial task and will probably take several months to complete. Only then can the task of building a new site be undertaken. Sure, quick fixes for broken links can be made in the interim but I would not expect any big changes to take place for quite some time.

We can all continue to point out the shortcomings but doing so may actually slow down the process of rebuilding the site. Manpower is short at SS so any time spent chasing our inputs will only take away from the work that really needs to be done. Perhaps SS needs to set up some kind of user committee that will collect and assemble the inputs from the user community. These inputs could then be sent to the appropriate person at SS for consideration.

Having said that, I would hope that SS will or has put together some kind of a plan that describes what they want the SS website to be so it supports the corporate business model. They need to clearly define what their goals are and then determine how they are going to bring them to fruition.
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada --- SS 510 (new 2005), Bandsaw, Jointer, Conical & Standard sanding disks, & DC3300
Carson Valley Weather - http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"What is really needed is a full "Site Map..."

Amen.

With all good wishes,
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Actually it takes hardly any time at all to map a website and many excellent tools are free.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Web_ ... ing_Tools/

What you do with the map is another story.

I tried G-mapper and it seems extremely easy to use, enter site name, site URL and point to site HTML files on local Hard Disk.
There are others as well, I did not try.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

paulmcohen wrote: I tried G-mapper and it seems extremely easy to use, enter site name, site URL and point to site HTML files on locate Hard Disk.
There are others as well, I did not try.

??? huh?

typo alert!

...fixed. Thanks for the funny anyway.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

:eek: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha................
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.