Wood magazine - home shop dust collectors

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

popstoyshop wrote:Reibnle, Dusty, Scotss, Solicitr & Ed in Tampa,

The Techinical answer to what the term "underpowered" means.

Freud has designed the thin kerf blade for underpowered saws. That is ANY saw under 3 hp.

I have found this to be a constant with almost all saw blade makers.

Pop.
Pop
Not to be argumentative but I don't feel comfortable allowing "Ad hype" to become the definer of things.

If I did I would have to wear "x" clothes, live in "x" location, drink "x", drive "x", eat "x", take "x" medicine, sleep on an "x" bed, use "x" to brush my teeth, and etc. With "x' being whatever is being peddled. Besides I would never get anything done trying to keep up with the lastest and greatest. I wouldn't even know what to do with my hair, put a hair restorer on it, wash it, condition it, spriz it, spray it, gel it, comb it, brush it, blow it, curl it, straighten it, color it, buy a wig, get a hair transplant, a weave or shave it off.

Besides if I remember correctly when the thin Kerf blades hit the market they weren't touted to be addressing underpowered saws but rather as a form of wood conservation. The thinner kerf wasted less wood as sawdust.

No a Shopsmith is not God's answer to "all" woodworking machines (close maybe :p ) but to fault the Shopsmith because it is underpowered is to make just as an absurd claim.

I would still like to know how your accuracy improved by going to a General saw. I'm always looking for a way to improve my woodworking skills and accuracy is one area I could improve in. So please share with me.
Ed
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

popstoyshop wrote:... I have a General contractors saw (the ONLY one with 2 hp.) and what I've gained over the SS is ACCURACY....
Pop.
Pop says he has gained accuracy with his General 2 HP saw. O.K. We understand, and will accept thate that as his factual finding, in his shop work. However, in fairness, here is another opposing opinion!

This is from the "Song of the Great Lakes Site - - Here he compares a SS-510 against a top notch contractor's saw (General International) http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/tsshowdown.htm
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dougrl
Silver Member

"wow"

Post by dougrl »

Scottc, there goes the magazine issue, Gentlemen can you just not get the magazine for the articles that are in it, If there is something of interest in the magazine, buy it. to Heck with the advertising, I even find this stuff interesting sometimes.
Next, why does the word Shopsmith cause so many people to become so defensive. I would like to tell you "I bought, and paid for my shopsmith, and I do not give a dam what you, Wood, or anyone else thinks of it". I find it works well for me and does the things that I want to do. The table saw work just fine, I have not stalled it or found it under powered yet, as I said much earlier I do not care for the small table and a 10" blade turning at hundred's of RPMs. so I have another table saw. "My Choice". Gentlemen be happy with what you have, and enjoy it. Don't worry about the next door guy, or WOOD magazine. One more thing I do not plan to up grade my Mark Vll Shopsmith, It works fine just the way it is. Cheers, a grumpy old man. Doug