Stand alone rounter/fence system question?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stryker1313
Silver Member

Stand alone rounter/fence system question?

Post by stryker1313 »

I am looking to upgrade my fence system (I own the 510) and add a router table. I plan on making cabinets and decorative boxes. I really fell in love the Incra Ultimate Fence/Router System package when I saw it at a TA with Rick Davis. It would allow me to upgrade my fence significantly without having to upgrade to the 520, as well as provide a router table and great jig for dovetails. I have also been reading some of the post on the Jointech.

As seems to be the case, Shopsmiths prices on the individual parts and or the package, seem to be much higher than the parts elsewhere online.

I also am in a dilemma as whether to add the router table to the SS or have a stand alone table. That would ultimately determine where I get a fencing system from. If I go stand alone, i could get the ultra package somewhat cheaper from other places. But I am left with no upgraded fence for the SS.

Anyone out there have experience with the above Incra system and/or the Jointech in comparison? Any thoughts on which way to go with the router table? :) Thanks.
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Note the table configuration on these- wildly offset plate. While I am new to SS, and am quite proud of what it can do, there is no benefit to incorporating it(router table) into the SS- especially since the powerhead is irrelevant. I have a Jessem FX standalone and the SS OPR with top and bottom routers but Jessem table and Hartville fence.. Great to take a workpiece off of the SS and just turn around and rout.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

stryker1313 wrote:I am looking to upgrade my fence system (I own the 510) and add a router table. I plan on making cabinets and decorative boxes. I really fell in love the Incra Ultimate Fence/Router System package when I saw it at a TA with Rick Davis. It would allow me to upgrade my fence significantly without having to upgrade to the 520, as well as provide a router table and great jig for dovetails. I have also been reading some of the post on the Jointech.

As seems to be the case, Shopsmiths prices on the individual parts and or the package, seem to be much higher than the parts elsewhere online.

I also am in a dilemma as whether to add the router table to the SS or have a stand alone table. That would ultimately determine where I get a fencing system from. If I go stand alone, i could get the ultra package somewhat cheaper from other places. But I am left with no upgraded fence for the SS.

Anyone out there have experience with the above Incra system and/or the Jointech in comparison? Any thoughts on which way to go with the router table? :) Thanks.
Hi,

I'm guessing you have read my review of the Jointech, if not that might be worth reading. I also have an Incra system that I got for one of my router tables, and even have the old plastic one that shopsmith use to sell for the overhead router back in the 80's. I like both systems... however when it came time to get one to mount on the shopsmith I went with the Jointech system. I would say read the reviews and go with what you think will work best for you.

I would also say that the upgrade to a 520 is still the best thing you can do for your shopsmith. I think they are on sale again so bite the bullet and do that first. Both the Incra system and the Jointech system work with the 520, of course you need to order the correct part numbers.

I know the Jointech will work on a stand-a-lone router table as well as on the shopsmith, and I think the Incra will too. However if you get the router table versions of these you will have to purchase other EXTRA parts in order to get them to work on the shopsmith... (if they even sell the EXTRA parts seperatly like that I don't know). I'd check that out before even thinking about going that direction.

While on the subject the Jointech has a set of brackets you can buy so you can use just the fence and they will work on a lot of different router tables this way. Look for mounting brackets at: http://www.jointech.com/optaccess.htm

As far as reasons to use the shopsmith as a basis for a router is that it can save space. I'm hoping to cut down to less routers tables this way. The table also provides more table space on the shopsmith and can be left in place of or in addition to floating tables. They can also be used as infeed/outfeed tables with a little help from some creative thinking. Like wise it would not take much to make the table into a stand-a-lone if you wanted to. (I've got sketches for both of these ideas on the drawing board). Keep in mind the shopsmith 520 fence also works on the router tables, with a little help from some added parts you can make... All by the way of having more options in your shop.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]