Wife's birthday cleaver holder

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Wife's birthday cleaver holder

Post by wannabewoodworker »

So it is that time of year to get back in the shop regularly and do some saw dust making. I recently gave my wife a Dexter Cleaver for her birthday as she didn't have one and watching her cut up chicken for the dogs was driving me crazy. I looked around the net for cleavers and found a review by a master chef who said you didn't need a fancy expensive cleaver and that he recommended the Dexter as a very capable all purpose kitchen cleaver. So I ordered one from Dexter and it arrived in a couple of days. She was very excited to receive it but then we had a small problem of how to store it while not using it? She has a butcher block knife set but I couldn't come up with a good way to incorporate the cleaver into the block so I decided to make a dedicated holder for just the cleaver. I had plenty of scrap nice wood just laying around the shop so I got some Oak, Walnut and Cherry I think and set about making up the pieces of the holder. I used the walnut for strips to make the slot for the cleaver to fit into. The Oak made up the top and bottom enclosure and the Cherry was used to make a canted base for the main body. A very simple design but useful none the less. I glued the parts together yesterday and today I finished them up and sanded everything down and assembled my creation. I used two long screws on the bottom of the base to mount it to the top enclosure and to also hold it together while the glue was drying. So now the question is what do i use to finish the cleaver holder with??? I am an admitted clueless beginner when it comes to finishing any type of wood projects. I was thinking about using the salad bowl finish I got for the cutting board you see in the background would that be alright to use on this little creation? I was also thinking maybe some kind of polyurethane? Looking for ideas to finish my rank amateur little cleaver home. I know it isn't much of a project but it fills a very important need and the cleaver now has a new home. And I did use my Mark V jointer and sanding disc in the creation of this little item just to keep things legit...........smile!

Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Nice little project! For finishing, end-grain can really be brilliant if you do it right.... it might be worth trying a scrap-piece for seeing the end-grain results. I would *not* recommend a water-based poly as the first application layer; it just doesn't look great on end-grain. On the other hand, most oil-type finishes penetrate well and make end-grain "pop", a result which is preserved even if it's eventually overcoated with something else. You might even need to finish once and then sand over lightly to take down the nubs before the next layer.
Chris
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Great looking project that turned out well. I'd use as a finish. Either orange oil, lemon oil or the butcher block oil (petro free). Whatever ya use, use it on the old knife handles too.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Mineral Oil from the pharmacy is a excellent finish for butcher blocks and such. Just apply some, let it set for a while, then wipe off the excess. Reapply as necessary. Another would be walnut oil if you have some around. Some use vegetable oils, but they can go rancid and therefore are not a good choice.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

pennview wrote:Mineral Oil from the pharmacy is a excellent finish for butcher blocks and such. Just apply some, let it set for a while, then wipe off the excess. Reapply as necessary. Another would be walnut oil if you have some around. Some use vegetable oils, but they can go rancid and therefore are not a good choice.
Walnut oil will naturally harden (dry) like flaxseed or linseed oil does. I've got a friend at work, that uses it on her real wood kitchen table. I use it on my cast iron cookware, for the same reason. Mineral oil will not dry. It will soak in, though.

steve
azonia22
Bronze Member

Re: Wife's birthday cleaver holder

Post by azonia22 »

post deleted
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

azonia22 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:39 am I have always loved making knives with my Dad since about five years ago.

This knife is a straight razor cleaver style. The overall length is 10 1/8 inches, The cutting edge is 5 5/8 inches. The blade is 1 1/8 inches deep and 1/8 inch thick. The handle is really pretty maple with brass pins. The blade is made out of a nicholson file.

It is the first knife I forged, but I have made a few others. I wanted the knife to look a little older so I didn't grind all of the forge marks off. The quench on the knife went really well. I got a few bends in the knife but I got them to straightened out.

The sheath design is a bear walking down a trail. The sheath also has a belt loop, and a strap with a brass snap button to keep the knife in the sheath.

I am going to auction this knife starting at a dollar. It will run from now until Monday Feb 5th at 5:00 pm Pacific time.

Thank you, and thanks to the Predator Masters moderators for accepting me as a hobby call maker!
WTH is this?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:17 pm
azonia22 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:39 am I have always loved making knives with my Dad since about five years ago.

This knife is a straight razor cleaver style. The overall length is 10 1/8 inches, The cutting edge is 5 5/8 inches. The blade is 1 1/8 inches deep and 1/8 inch thick. The handle is really pretty maple with brass pins. The blade is made out of a nicholson file.

It is the first knife I forged, but I have made a few others. I wanted the knife to look a little older so I didn't grind all of the forge marks off. The quench on the knife went really well. I got a few bends in the knife but I got them to straightened out.

The sheath design is a bear walking down a trail. The sheath also has a belt loop, and a strap with a brass snap button to keep the knife in the sheath.

I am going to auction this knife starting at a dollar. It will run from now until Monday Feb 5th at 5:00 pm Pacific time.

Thank you, and thanks to the Predator Masters moderators for accepting me as a hobby call maker!
WTH is this?
JPG (and MODERATOR),

It is spam and this user (azonia22) should probably be removed. The post above seemed VERY fishy to me so I Googled it and found it is another cut and paste (plagiarism) from another forum. If you go to the link below, you will see the top post on that thread is word for word identical to the post here from azonia22. About the only thing they removed was the reference to the post being from an 11 year old. They even reference the "Predator Master moderators" in the last line of the post above, which is the name of the forum where this post was copied from. I noticed the couple of other prior posts on this forum from azonia22 looked suspicious when they were first posted, but clearly this last post sealed it for me.
I would suggest that a MODERATOR or ADMIN should block azonia22...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... er=3129693
azonia22.jpg
azonia22.jpg (226.86 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

At least that one had a pix!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange