SAND-FLEE, jointing geometry, etc.

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

SAND-FLEE, jointing geometry, etc.

Post by nuhobby »

Hello,

Being the optimist, I'm starting to think of that next SPT that must be had, recession or not.

Has anyone (aside from Reible's home-made one) got the Sand-Flee yet? I could see this coming in handy for some veneer & bookmatch jobs.

Also I noted the Sand-Flee video mentioned it could joint edges to a degree. How would one really define "jointing" -- is the offset infeed / outfeed concept (in jointer tables or router/shaper fences) really only applicable to "heavier jointing"? That is, even a long hand-plane could be a light jointer, and the fore/aft surfaces are in the same plane.

Thanks,
Chris
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

The in-feed and out-feed are in the same plane, I had the same problem but somehow Nick convinced everyone that it worked.
I think it has something to do with the fact the the paper is actually below the surface until you turn on the unit.

You might search the forum where I think this was also discussed.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Yeah, I was skeptical at first but I've used the Sand Flee enough now to know it does work -- it "joints" the work flat as a die. What I've figured out is this:

The sandpaper is mounted on the drum with a hook-and-loop system. There is a slight amount of "give" to it; that is, it can be compressed very slightly. You adjust the table so the sanding grit is barely above the surface. Then, when you pass the work over the drum with light pressure, the sandpaper is ever-so-slightly compressed to the point where the grit is brushing the wood at the same level as the table. After multiple passes, the high spots on the board are abraded away and the work becomes as flat as the table.

It doesn't work like a jointer -- you have to get that out of your head. The infeed and outfeed table are actually a single surface that serves as both a guide and a matchplate. The sanding grit simply scrapes away at the work until its surface matches the flat table.

With all good wishes,
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

And from what I understand there is no fence to ensure that the edge is square to the face, like a jointer has.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"...there is no fence ..."

Not true.

With all good wishes,
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks for the discussion.

I can see the Sand-Flee doing a jointing job with enough repetitions, just like a coplanar-surfaced handplane would.

I also did note the Fence is offered for the Sand-Flee in the catalog.

I'll be daydreaming about this often. Unfortunately the immediate cash pool just went for a Treadmill that SWMBO has been wanting. This will defer a SPT purchase (OK, not forever), which is one thing, but it will cause me to move the Mark V location in the basement, which is another. But maybe that will give me the excuse to "do a Dusty" and "re-align everything" after the move.

Best Regards,
Chris
fjimp
Platinum Member

Sand Flee On The Way

Post by fjimp »

Christas Eve my loving wife announced she wanted several sewing machine goodies that added up to more than the cost of a Sand Flee. After I purchased them for her she suggested I needed to order my Sand Flee. With a little luck it will arrive this week. I can hardly wait.

Incidentally I do believe Nick may be the best salesman I have ever encountered. Jim:)
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"I do believe Nick may be the best salesman I have ever encountered..."

I can't resist -- two salesman jokes. The first hangs on a fence two doors down from my house: "Salesman welcome! Dog food is expensive."

The second my Dad told me over the Holidays:

At a toy store a customer asked the salesman:
"How much is the Barbie in the display window?"
The salesman answered:
"Which one? We have: Work-Out Barbie for $19.95, Shopping Barbie for $19.95, Beach Barbie for $19.95, Disco Barbie for $19.95, and Divorced Barbie for $299.95."
The amazed customer asked:
"Why is the Divorced Barbie $299.95 and the others are only $19.95?"
So the salesman explained:
"Sir..., Divorced Barbie comes with Ken's Car, Ken's House, Ken's Boat, Ken's Furniture, Ken's Computer, and Ken's Best Friend."

With all good wishes,