Can anyone provide me with pictures of the lathe steady rest?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Can anyone provide me with pictures of the lathe steady rest?

Post by reible »

Item 555280

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... tem=555280

A couple of picture and perhaps a few facts/sizes would be a big help.

It looks like from the catalog that it is a post that mounts in the tool rest. The post has a through hole or maybe it is threaded? How long?

Might have a flat where the "Y" shaped part attaches?

The "Y" piece has a slot and holes for bearings, six holes give you adjustment depending on the dia of the workpiece. That range would be something to something??

Approximate dia and width of bearings??

Anything else you might note about it?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yea two other things. If someone has paper work on this item what is the part number of the "Y" shaped part.

How wide is the slot in the "Y" part or what size fastener holds it on, 1/4"??

Ed
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

The photos for that item on the SS website really leave something to be desired...That's not the first time I've seen something on their website where I can barely even tell what I'd be buying from the single photo they provide. Add it to the list of suggested improvements for SS to make to their website.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Here's another picture from PTWFE. The LSR mounts in the carriage behind the stock. I believe one of the early editions of the book has a homemade version.

1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

reible wrote:Item 555280

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/itemfind.htm?item=555280

It looks like from the catalog that it is a post that mounts in the tool rest. The post has a through hole or maybe it is threaded? How long?

The "Y" piece has a slot and holes for bearings, six holes give you adjustment depending on the dia of the workpiece. That range would be something to something??

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Here are a couple of pictures of the 'Y' from the duplicator steady rest. Both steady rests accept from 3/16" to 3-1/2" diameters, so I am betting the 'Y' end, if not the entire part, are the same for both steady rests. The part number for my 'Y' bracket is 515281. The bearings are a 627ZZ.

Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks to the posters.

I'm sorry I'm not seeing $85.04 worth of stuff here. Must have more parts with it then is obvious?

I checked the part number and it was not found so it is possible you can't buy just that part???

At least I'm starting to form a mental image of the part, step one so to speak.

Ed
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

reible wrote:Thanks to the posters.

I'm sorry I'm not seeing $85.04 worth of stuff here. Must have more parts with it then is obvious?

I checked the part number and it was not found so it is possible you can't buy just that part???

At least I'm starting to form a mental image of the part, step one so to speak.

Ed
I made a mistake on the part number.....corrected and added link to the page with the part in my previous post. I believe the reason for the high price for the steady rest is that it includes the tool rest post and tool rest arm, $75 plus for just those parts based on the information on this page.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

SDSSmith wrote:I made a mistake on the part number.....corrected and added link to the page with the part in my previous post. I believe the reason for the high price for the steady rest is that it includes the tool rest post and tool rest arm, $75 plus for just those parts based on the information on this page.
That would make a lot more sense.

I have several machines so I already have more then one tool rest but if you only had one then it would be in use in the front of the machine and you would need the second set for the support in the back. It would have been nice to have that shown or noted in the "catalog".

Thanks!

Ed
transplanted
Gold Member

Post by transplanted »

reible wrote:Item 555280

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... tem=555280

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Here's what I did...

I contacted SS Customer Service and explained to them I wanted the parts for the lathe steady rest. I didn't need the lathe support...(I bought an additional lathe support on eBay for around $10.) What I ended up getting was the post which mounts into the support and holds the adjustable flat bar which has the ball bearings bolted on, the flat bar, and all the associated screws/ bolts. I bought the bearings at a local hardware store...So, basically the complete lathe support ended up costing me under $60.
Hope this helps out somewhat.
Cheers
Stan
My wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......
transplanted
Gold Member

Post by transplanted »

I will try and upload pics of my SS lathe steady rest. Outfitting, organizing, and constructing the inside of my new detached 12x16 workshop. Presently working on the benches, so as a result, most everything is still in boxes.
Good news is, it's in a box. Bad news is, which one?
My wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......