lower saw guard cover

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eldyfig
Gold Member

lower saw guard cover

Post by eldyfig »

When using the SS as a table saw, how far should the lower saw guard cover be spaced from the blade? Currently, I have the cover spaced out from the blade until the top edge of it butts up against the tie bar guard.

It seems like I have too much wood dust coming out from underneath the table. Haven't looked where it coming from because I am always up top cutting of course. I need to get my little helper to put some goggles on and watch for me. I do have some dust coming out the front of the upper saw guard because of a missing guard insert. That is on order. Yeah, most of the dust is collecting on the accesory rack and on the carriage.

Tony
dusty
Platinum Member

lower saw guard cover

Post by dusty »

If you find a way to reduce the dust that you are sweeping up, please let me know. The lower saw guard is, IMHO, a weak link in the dust collection system.

I've cut fillers, used duct tape, adjusted and readjusted the lower guard all to no avail. The Shopsmith discharges sawdut that must be swept up.

There is a devise called the Sharkguard that has received some good reports but I don't have one so can't say. It collects the dust from the top side.

Good Luck
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:If you find a way to reduce the dust that you are sweeping up, please let me know. The lower saw guard is, IMHO, a weak link in the dust collection system.

I've cut fillers, used duct tape, adjusted and readjusted the lower guard all to no avail. The Shopsmith discharges sawdut that must be swept up.

There is a devise called the Sharkguard that has received some good reports but I don't have one so can't say. It collects the dust from the top side.

Good Luck

I have the Sharkguard and it works as far as dust on the top side. I have experimented and tried various configurations to collect as much dust as possible here is what I found.

If I use the Sharkguard and a zero clearance insert I collect a lot of dust.
However if I use the same configuration but use a normal insert I collect more dust.
The most dust is collected if I use a normal insert, Sharkguard and leave the third port of my DC3300 open ( sucking shop air). I think the increased speed of the DC33300 running unrestricted causes the other two ports to be more effective.

Incidently I love the Sharkguard and Lee Styron is a prince of guy, great to work with and a man of high integrity. I saw in another forum someone said he was hard deal with. I know the story and it simply isn't true.
Ed
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

I have not thought of opening an extra port.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I would like to know more about the sharkguard.
BPR
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

What do you want to know? I will answer any question I can.
For more info check out http://www.leestyron.com/shopsmith510.php

The Shopsmith in the first three pictures is mine.

Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

What DC are you using? An underpowered DC could also contribute to the dust accumlation.
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

The SS DC3300.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Sounds to me , you are doing all the right things. Two additional things you can try in order to get more sawdust into your 3300;
1) Use only one length of hose
2) clean the inside of the hood

Here's another, but requires some expense;
-) Purchase a larger hood.

Best Wishes!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I think that SS should offer the DC3300 3 different ways; give the buyer a choice of which hood he wants. I know that I would have purchased the one with the largest hood if I was given a choice. I purchased the DC3300 and really struggled with the decision to buy the large hood at the same time. In the end I decided that I would just use the hood that it came with for a while. I just could not bring myself to buy the large hood just to discard the small one without using it.:(
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.