Story Stick

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Story Stick

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I don't know how many of you use story sticks but since I start using them I found out my life got easier. I make less mistakes (I measured twice and the piece still came out too short) and my project came out better ( they fit into the space designed for them).

In any case if you use story sticks check out the neat idea from Woodpecker.
http://www.woodpeck.com/storystick.html

While your at woodpecker site check out the incremental track http://www.woodpeck.com/incramentaltrackhome.html

Using it you can build mitre fences, and crosscut table cut off scales.
Ed
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Story Sticks

Post by flashbacpt »

Ed,
Very interesting to say the least! Definitely brings an old valued piece of woodworking into the 21st century!

I use a story stick, a trusted, true piece of 1 1/2" square piece of wood, 36 inches long. Over the years, it has "collected" several measurements on each side, that are marked (measurement listed).

Frequently, I use the story stick to set up a table saw cut very quickly when I have to cut down to workable size large sheets of material.

Other times, it comes in handy when laying out cuts, taking a quick measurement, etc., and of course, those times when one's measuring tape has decided to disappear on you!

With this new story stick, it opens the door to several other possible uses. Thank you very much for the input!
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Ed you are right on. Using story sticks is a fail safe way to measure. I have seen Scott Phillips and Kelley Mehler use them and I also have and when doing say 2 of the same project it can speed things up. Shown here marking out square peg holes for pinning the legs. When marking out 4 legs you want them to be the same.
Attachments
story stick.jpg
story stick.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 16519 times
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ed:

Thanks for the post. It looks like something I should add to my wish list as it would cure a lot of the problems I create for myself when measuring.

John
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Something sort of related, the Flat Back, Story Pole type tape measure for woodworkers (different from a carpenters tape) just make notes or mark lengths with a pencil, I bought mine at WoodCraft http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fa ... tid=826097
Jim in Tucson
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I grew up calling them story boards, same thing. I have seen many a sider use them and also good when laying out 2X2 pickets for hand railing.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Oh shucks, I'm just a simple southern boy. I use story sticks all the time, but I don't need anything so fancy. For large projects, I just rip off a 1/4" thick slice of a 2 X 4. Sometimes, I add a strip of masking tape to make writing notes easier. Yes, I write notes all over the story stick.

For smaller pieces like turnings, I use graph paper.

My jigs are also primarily one use things, not the elaborate things some of you make. There is no saving me -- I'm just a simple boy.
Doug
Greenville, SC