SS Live Sawdust Sessions; A Fine Tool To Review

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

SS Live Sawdust Sessions; A Fine Tool To Review

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi All,

I have been fortunate to be able to participate in SS's new adventure several times. IMHO the effort put out by Nick, Drew and the rest of the Crew is extraordinary. It seems like each time I view it there is improvement in the broadcast. One place that SS gets their ideas for Sawdust Sessions is right here on this forum. If you are interested in a particular subject, start or add to a thread about that subject and you should see a related Sawdust Session about it eventually.

Each show is divided into several subjects. Each subject covered is done so with thoughtfulness and attention to detail. If a participant has a question, they should not hesitate to ask it; Mostly because the time lag makes your question arrive later than you think. Nick and Drew try to answer all questions during the show.

If a subject covered requires more time then one session can handle, they plan to have another session to enhance your knowlege in that subject.

Another great thing about these sessions is that they introduce you to tools that perhaps you were avoiding, showing you the potential that each of these tools have. That of course encourages you to make purchases and for those of us that need it, gives you ammunition to show SWMBO to help convince her that you can make her life a little easier with that new whatever.

All in all, they are enjoyable, informative, instructive, and I hope they generate sales and interest to help SS into the future.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"One place that SS gets their ideas for Sawdust Sessions is right here on this forum."

Almost correct, Tim. It would have been more correct to say, "The place where SS get almost all of their ideas for Sawdust Sessions..." Drew and I not only participate in this forum every day, it is the "mine" where we get the vast majority of our Sawdust Session topics. From the get-go, Drew and I conceived these webcasts as as being viewer-driven.

The one area where we wish we would see some more viewer participation is the Q&A session after each topic. We are thinking about doing several things to bump this up -- let more viewers into each webcast; hold a general Q&A session after we cover all the topics, even do a second webcast on the Friday after to take questions from those who have watched the on-demand session.

Be that as it may Drew and I thank you for your thoughts, your kind words, your support, and most of all your friendship.

With all good wishes,
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I am giving up on my MAC Tuesday, now if you can hold the sessions at at reasonable time on the West Coast maybe I will be able to show up. In all seriousness between work and sleep it is impossible to attend the sessions at the early times you offer them.

I generally have the same issues with the live TA sessions when they are offered here, taking a day or two off from work is just difficult.

I love the "taped" sessions, what we do here is ask people to submit questions on the topic in advance via email. Then during the live session we make sure we cover the questions. Or your idea to accept questions after the live session and answer them at a future live event. Third option, start each session with answering a few questions asked after the last session.

You do such a great just it is very rare I have question, the only one I had on "black non-woven pads" was answered here.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Like Paul, I find it difficult to get the time to attend live sessions but I really enjoy looking at the videos later.

In fact I have found lately that with all the good stuff going on on the net, with forums and videos, it is difficult to find my way to the shop! What's that old saying, " too much of a good thing....".

John