Using a ladder on stairs

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

forrestb
Platinum Member

Using a ladder on stairs

Post by forrestb »

My daughter wanted to paint the wall next to her stairwell. At the bottom of the stairs that wall was about 18 feet high, so we needed to put the ladder sideways spanning about 3 treads. Unfortunately, their Little Giant with an extension on one leg was just not a proper fit on the 2 treads for a safe operation. Since she was going to climb the ladder and even though 40 years old she is still my little girl.

I built the pictured support to allow us a 35 inch span for the 25 inch ladder span (without the leg extender). It contacts 3 stair treads (built to fit on site) and is very, very stable. To convince her, once in place I jumped up and down on it. When a new section of wall was needed, I removed the ladder, moved the support up 1 or 2 risers and reset the ladder.

It worked perfectly although we had to resize the ladder extension height as we went up the stairwell.

The pic is upside down and the tape and cauls are to hold down the rubber mats while the glue drys. There is rubber mat on the top surface where the ladder stands. I thought that would minimize any tendency for things to slip.

Having a well stocked spare wood bin everything but the rubber mat was in the shop already as scrap.

Forrest

PS My daughter made it up three rungs and decided she could not climb up to paint. Enter Dad, so I wound up doing the painting too! Super glad it was a stable platform!
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

That's a great idea. You should send it to Little Giant pople.

Sincerely,

Ron
Sincerely,

Ron309753
wrdavis
Gold Member

Post by wrdavis »

Need a picture with the ladder in place.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

We had a house that had the same problem:eek: So sold it before it needed re-painted.:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
forrestb
Platinum Member

very smart move Chuck

Post by forrestb »

I couldn't convince her of that option since they just bought the house. Personally, I thought that wall looked pretty good to begin with, but you know kids!
Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

forrestb wrote:I couldn't convince her of that option since they just bought the house. Personally, I thought that wall looked pretty good to begin with, but you know kids!
Forrest

I wondered if they just bought that house. Yes, I know kids!!!!!

Your innovation for the stairs is to be envied! Wish I had thought of that when I had to change the battery in the smoke detector at the top of the stairs. Instead put a tall step ladder on the top landing and reached. Even that wasn't fun!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
forrestb
Platinum Member

ask and ye shall receive

Post by forrestb »

The 2 pix are of the ladder on the platform on the stairs and yours truly on the ladder - well at least my feet.

I don't think that Little Giant would be to excited since the narrow width of the treads means that the ladder angle is too acute. Perfectly useable if you understand the danger and don't move too fast. They probably would be subject to liability if they touted this technique.

Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

forrestb wrote:The 2 pix are of the ladder on the platform on the stairs and yours truly on the ladder - well at least my feet.

I don't think that Little Giant would be to excited since the narrow width of the treads means that the ladder angle is too acute. Perfectly useable if you understand the danger and don't move too fast. They probably would be subject to liability if they touted this technique.

Forrest

Ah yes I agree Little Giant wouldn't touch that idea. I have two little Giant ladders. My smaller one looks like the one shown. My other (one of Little Giants first ladders) is much taller. Would have used them turned to follow stairs and increased the height on the lower side higher than the higher side. The second ladder higher on the stairs and then used the little giant expanding platform (Expands from 6' to 9') between the two ladders for a level secure standing surface. Oh yes I also have two sets of their leveling legs. The daughter and family painted their two story house this past fall. I bought extra ladder supplies because I knew I couldn't help with the process. Now I wonder if the rest of ladders supplies will be home anytime soon. Doesn't matter I will never use any of that stuff again. Check this link for ladder accessories I mentioned
http://www.littlegiantladder.com/ladder-accessories

:D;):):rolleyes: Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
forrestb
Platinum Member

thought about that solution

Post by forrestb »

I also have an early Little Giant and the platform, etc., but her roof slopes and I figured moving 2 ladders and the platform was going to be more work than moving my smaller platform and 1 ladder. We couldn't get just 1 position of the platform to allow cutting in the entire wall.

As it was, I was able to remove one side of the ladder that lightened the load considerably.

Heck, designing and making the small platform wasn't work: that was woodworking!

Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
jarhead
Gold Member

Post by jarhead »

Thanks for the additional pictures with the ladder in place - makes a LOT more sense (to me at least) that way.