Reassembling a Strip Sander

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Reassembling a Strip Sander

Post by JPG »

I recently tore down and refurbed a strip sander. It is a relatively simple machine, but has a few things that can go wrong when putting er back together.

I start with the table. First mount the trunion. For lack of any other 'goal' I aligned the mounting screws with the center of the mounting screw holes in the trunion, then squared the trunion to the sides.

[ATTACH]20064[/ATTACH]

The table tilt stop consists of a set screw and a nut. The nut has a bearing side and an 'outer' side. This pix shows the bearing side and how the nut is aligned to the set screw. Note the allen wrench socket. That end will be inserted into the tapped hole in the table from the bottom of the table.

[ATTACH]20065[/ATTACH]

This shows the setscrew and nut installed.

[ATTACH]20066[/ATTACH]

This shows them from the top of the table. The setscrew needs to be about two full turns down from the position shown in the pix. i.e. the setscrew needs to extend further from the bottom of the table. The setscrew rests against the main frame when 'stopped' at zero tilt. IMHO the set screw should be a flat end. This one appears to be a 'dull' cup tip.

[ATTACH]20067[/ATTACH]

Last but not least the table split support bolt and nut. Note the flat washer under the knurled nut. This needs to be kept very tight as they have a tendency to come loose and get lost.

[ATTACH]20068[/ATTACH]
Attachments
trunion.jpg
trunion.jpg (255.27 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
tilt stop nut.jpg
tilt stop nut.jpg (375.44 KiB) Viewed 4408 times
tilt stop.jpg
tilt stop.jpg (331.41 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
tilt stop top.jpg
tilt stop top.jpg (307.24 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
table slot support.jpg
table slot support.jpg (345.29 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The hinges are unusual in that one side is on the outside of the base casting, while the other side is inside the cover.

[ATTACH]20069[/ATTACH]

The casting side screws are tapped into the casting, while the cover side uses nuts.

[ATTACH]20070[/ATTACH]

The 'rear' idler pulley also has the 'pulley guard' mounted under the same mounting screw. All the pulleys are mounted with the 'long' end of the hub pointing 'down'.

[ATTACH]20071[/ATTACH]

The 'front' idler pulley uses the same type screw.

[ATTACH]20072[/ATTACH]
Attachments
hinges.jpg
hinges.jpg (399.15 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
hinge inside.jpg
hinge inside.jpg (352.37 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
pulley rear.jpg
pulley rear.jpg (372.67 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
pulley front.jpg
pulley front.jpg (383.61 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Now for some less 'simple' details. The tracking wheel and it's mount is next. The bracket is secured with a screw.

track 1.jpg
track 1.jpg (339.88 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
The wheel plate and spring are next. The plate slips in from the top of the bracket. The plate has a protrusion in the bottom center end that the spring nests onto. There is a bump on the bottom of the bracket for that end of the spring.

track 2.jpg
track 2.jpg (397.35 KiB) Viewed 4370 times
The tracking control knob is screwed in from the outside.
track 3.jpg
track 3.jpg (358.68 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
The inside end extends into a slot in the wheel plate.
track 5.jpg
track 5.jpg (391.83 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
A retaining ring and washer allows the knob to tilt the wheel plate. Getting that ring on is easier that getting it off. Make sure it seats in the groove in the control knob.
track 6.jpg
track 6.jpg (366.06 KiB) Viewed 4363 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The tracking wheel is next. That spring below the wheel plate provides tensioning for the belt. The plate can move up/down because the control knob shaft is in the slot in the plate. The wheel is mounted to the plate using a bolt and nut.

[ATTACH]20078[/ATTACH]

The bolt is inserted from the back of the plate.

[ATTACH]20079[/ATTACH]

The wheel is inserted down onto the bolt.

[ATTACH]20080[/ATTACH]

The nut secures the wheel and bolt to the plate.

[ATTACH]20081[/ATTACH]
Attachments
track 7.jpg
track 7.jpg (398.13 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
track 8.jpg
track 8.jpg (373.62 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
track 9.jpg
track 9.jpg (361.53 KiB) Viewed 4347 times
track 10.jpg
track 10.jpg (394.07 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The drive wheel/bearing drop into a bore in the casting. A screw and clip act as a retainer for the bearing. A notch on the clip rests over a web in the casting.

[ATTACH]20082[/ATTACH]

The clip needs to be in towards the shaft far enough to press against the bearing, but not so far as to rub against the shaft.

[ATTACH]20083[/ATTACH]

The screw is tightened by passing the allen wrench through a hole in the wheel.

[ATTACH]20084[/ATTACH]

The platen is held in place by three screws. One is near the tracking bracket. The hole to the left is where the 'rear' idler pulley is mounted when doing 'inside' sanding.

[ATTACH]20085[/ATTACH]

The lower two screws are near the bottom on the front of the casting. The platen is not attached yet, although it could be. The platen has slots for the mounting screws so it slips on/off easily. Normally there are three platens(1" & 1/2" flat, and 1" curved). As usual with used units only the 1" flat came with this one. Already got the other two off e-bay a while back.:D

[ATTACH]20086[/ATTACH]
Attachments
drive 1.jpg
drive 1.jpg (351.05 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
drive 2.jpg
drive 2.jpg (381.57 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
drive 3.jpg
drive 3.jpg (367.48 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
platen 1.jpg
platen 1.jpg (382.06 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
platen 2.jpg
platen 2.jpg (327.8 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Next I attached the hub to the drive shaft. As usual the drive shaft has a flat.

[ATTACH]20087[/ATTACH]

The trunion pivot is secured to the casting by two sets of a screw and a spacer.

[ATTACH]20089[/ATTACH]

The cover knob screws into the front of the casting. A metal clip under the bottom of the upper throat helps keep the cover closed.

[ATTACH]20090[/ATTACH]

The platen slots can be seen here.

[ATTACH]20088[/ATTACH]

The belt is installed by pressing down on the tracking pulley thus releasing the tension on the belt.

[ATTACH]20091[/ATTACH]
Attachments
drive shaft hub.jpg
drive shaft hub.jpg (316.21 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
platen 3.jpg
platen 3.jpg (390.59 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
trunion pivot.jpg
trunion pivot.jpg (311 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
cover knob.jpg
cover knob.jpg (368.05 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
belt.jpg
belt.jpg (265.14 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The mounting posts are shown here, but the posts need to be inserted about a half inch less than shown. The PO had them mounted short end up, but since he used it on a power station, that makes sense. For Mark 5/V/VII/7/2 use the short end needs to go down.

[attach]20092[/attach]

The table is secured with the table lock knob and two washers. The washers cannot be seen in this pix, but the larger one is against the trunion, then the smaller washer.

[attach]20093[/attach]

The pointer is attached with the small screw and is rotated to align with the table at 0 tilt.
Attachments
posts.jpg
posts.jpg (241.62 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
table on.jpg
table on.jpg (315.64 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

You are the man, JPG!

I've had a Strip Sander for a little over a year and I love it. Only change I've made is to add a washer to the plastic-knob you show in Post #6. That seems to keep my hinged cover in place better than before.
Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

nuhobby wrote:You are the man, JPG!

I've had a Strip Sander for a little over a year and I love it. Only change I've made is to add a washer to the plastic-knob you show in Post #6. That seems to keep my hinged cover in place better than before.
Good Idea!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I will be adding also.:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

You're lucky that you have metal idler wheels. I use my sander quite a bit and even though keeping up with the lube on the idler wheel bolts, I have worn out the brass bushing (in the wheels) and destroyed two wheels - so far.

Guess I shouldn't run the sander over an hour at a time.:confused:
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA