A Shopsmith that never was?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Bill,
solicitr wrote:Tim:
I didn't realize these pages were time-limited: shoulda linked to the title page. Anyhoo, click on "Full text", then click on the red button marked "images". After that the gold browsing arrows should work to page through the graphics.
Well now, that worked.

Correct me if I am wrong, as I did not read the technical stuff; just looked at the pictures: It looks like that in 1985, SS thought about redesigning the Mark V into a machine that you could lift either end up, one at a time of course, and use it with the motor over the table, as in drill press mode, or with the motor under the table, as in...what? What would they gain with that configuration? I saw some mention of a shaper, but the current Mark V has a shaper system available, and on the redesigned model, with the shaft straight up under the table, ....I don't get it:confused:. Did anyone read the tech stuff? I wonder if they had a proto-type.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
solicitr
Gold Member

Post by solicitr »

Well, it would have been another shot at some features of the Mark VII, which hinged at both ends, and one of whose seven modes was as an undertable shaper.

Looking at the redesigned headstock, the bottom appears to be wider with more ventilation, as if SS was planning for a bigger motor.
Bill
Richmond, Virginia