Another source for variable speed

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I'm following this closely. I'd love to adapt something like this to one of my ERs.

Could you replace the foot pedal with a rotary potentiometer?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Unfortunately I have no idea how the foot pedal magnet sensor switch actually works. After a little Googling, I think it might be a "Hall Effect Sensor". Not being an electrical expert, I am going to try to use the existing arm and magnet without disturbing the electrics. Perhaps another forum member can advise on an electrical solution.
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

prmindartmouth wrote:Unfortunately I have no idea how the foot pedal magnet sensor switch actually works. After a little Googling, I think it might be a "Hall Effect Sensor". Not being an electrical expert, I am going to try to use the existing arm and magnet without disturbing the electrics. Perhaps another forum member can advise on an electrical solution.
The hall effect sensor should be able to be desoldered, then extended with some wires into a foot pedal on the floor or something else. Its also reasonably likely that you can just replace it with a potentiometer or something.

If you want to send me one of these motors I would be happy to figure it out ;)
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Peter, in message number 35 of that thread on Hobby Machinist, the original poster said that "the foot switch on this controller uses a photo resistor and diode for speed control (and you) just have to replace the photo resistor with a 25k pot and you can adjust speed from 0 to max set rpm."
Art in Western Pennsylvania
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

He (is not the OP) is actually talking about a different make (Consew) of motor and control.
http://www.consew.com/View/Consew-Model-CS1000-CS2000

I am adapting the existing arm with magnet so I will be able to rotate it a bit and set it where-ever I like within the speed range set by the dial on the front of the control box. I do not want a foot switch. The adaption involves pivoting the arm with magnet from the side of the control box instead of from the motor casting, but on the same centerline so the pickup sees the magnet correctly. That allows moving the control box away from the motor and relocating it in a convenient place on the front of the SS. I will post photos when done.

Pennview, thanks for your interest.
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

More progress: installed a 4.5" pulley on the idler shaft to prevent the link belt rubbing on the way tubes:
[ATTACH]20532[/ATTACH]
Made a swing arm to carry the magnet past the pickup:
[ATTACH]20533[/ATTACH]
Those marks on the tape mark fully on in the speed range and totally off (upper mark) so the arm does not swing much.
[ATTACH]20534[/ATTACH]

Moved the motor up a inch on the suspense casting by drilling a new hole and cutting the end off:
[ATTACH]20535[/ATTACH]
EDIT: I moved the motor up enough that the original motor pan might be reused provided a hole was cut to clear the brake wheel on the right end. I have not pursued installing the pan further as yet. Besides, it looks better with the motor snugged up!

Made a bracket to mount the control box (cut out of an old aluminum serving tray):
[ATTACH]20536[/ATTACH]
See the next post for additional photos.
Attachments
4 n half pulley.jpg
4 n half pulley.jpg (66.01 KiB) Viewed 17585 times
arm1.jpg
arm1.jpg (84.04 KiB) Viewed 17584 times
arm 2.jpg
arm 2.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 17583 times
shortened support.jpg
shortened support.jpg (74.27 KiB) Viewed 17584 times
bracket for control box.jpg
bracket for control box.jpg (66.55 KiB) Viewed 17583 times
Peter
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Mounted the control box and hooked up the ground and power wires:
[ATTACH]20537[/ATTACH]
Does put the reversing switch in an awkward location.
Lowered the SS into the horizontal from vertical where I had been doing all the work to find the control box just touches the way tube :) totally good luck, not by design! It could have hit the way tube and required changes to the bracket. I put the Shopsmith access hole cover on temporarily to cover the speed dial hole.
[ATTACH]20538[/ATTACH]
You can see it does not look too bad in this view:
[ATTACH]20539[/ATTACH]
I have not done anything yet about sawdust being sucked into the motor. :( The brake wheel which I left in place on the right end of the motor does stick out a little; seen here between the tubes:
[ATTACH]20540[/ATTACH]
I plugged it in and turned it on. Seems to run nicely with excellent control within a speed range by turning that aluminum star wheel on the swing arm. I have not had time to run the SS as a table saw (or in any other mode yet) but it seems powerful. I also have not yet related the speed settings to the usual SS settings. I think the low end will likely work great but the top speed of 3450 rpm may be a problem (original went to 5200). I will post more soon.
Attachments
box on 1.jpg
box on 1.jpg (64.95 KiB) Viewed 17584 times
hor posn.jpg
hor posn.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 17585 times
from front.jpg
from front.jpg (80.78 KiB) Viewed 17584 times
from top.jpg
from top.jpg (61.14 KiB) Viewed 17583 times
Peter
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Nice work, Peter. It looks like the control box belongs. I'd expect that having the reversing switch in the back of the box could be a blessing in disguise, as it won't be that easy to mistakenly reverse direction while it's running. Also, it likely has enough power at 3/4 H.P. to saw wood, but if it's lacking, that is when it would be most noticeable I'd guess.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Thanks pennview (Art).
I just ran it with a strip sander, pressing in hard while shortening a piece of 1/4" steel rod and it has ample power for that.:D I am busy over the weekend elsewhere, but hope to try the table saw mode early next week.
Peter
jasonsabala
Gold Member

Post by jasonsabala »

Thanks for keeping this updated. I am enjoying this thread.