Tool Rest Upgrade

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kenbu
Gold Member

Tool Rest Upgrade

Post by kenbu »

I'm new to turning on my Shopsmith and already got tired of adjusting the tool rest using the allen wrench. Shopsmith offers a lever upgrade, http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... pgrade.htm, but I just swapped out the set screws for a couple of 5/16-18 ratchet lever handles (model MRXP63 from t-nuts.com). The lower handle has a 3/4" stud, while the upper is 1". Much nicer now. Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference!

-Ken
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Thanks for posting. I've been wondering about this.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Mine came with them, but I broke the bottom one. Thanks for this information. (model MRXP63 from t-nuts.com). I will take a look at it.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Darn it Ken!!;) Now I'll have to plan another purchase.:eek: Oh well, not too expensive. :)

Have seen this upgrade for several years, but couldn't figure how they would help. Now I find they have a ratchet capability. Hmmmm' didn't read enough, just looked at pictures.:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting!:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I'd like to here how the push-in ratchet works for this application. I have push buttons ones in use on my 10ER and the old OPR. The problem I find with them is when they are loose and then you attempt to ratchet they don't work very well. If you happen to have room to get them tight then the ratchet works well.

Some years back I had to make friends with the ones that I got from shopsmith that have the allen head. You can read about that here:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=4309

I'm very pleased with the shopsmith version for the lathe. If I were to do it again I'd go with the shopsmith ones because of the allen head.

Ed
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

Those Shopsmith handles (parts 521688 and 521689) are very nice, Ed. With the exposed allen heads they would be much easier to routinely remove and reinstall, if necessary, than the ones I'm using. Cheap, too! Nice to have options.

Ken
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I just received mine form t-nuts.com and put them on, boy they are nice. I ordered them 2/12 at 5:40pm and they came in the mail today. Now that is fast shipping. :) :) :) :) Thanks Ken for the post.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
THOMRIDER
Gold Member

Post by THOMRIDER »

I did the same thing to my tool rest. I bought mine at Lowes though for around $2.50 a piece.

It makes adjusting so much quicker now.
SHOPSMITH 510, SHOPSMITH BANDSAW, AND MANY MANY MANY OTHER POWERTOOLS
wasatch
Gold Member

Post by wasatch »

I just purchased the two from T-nuts and installed them last night. I found the top one wouldn't turn without the body hitting the arm of the tool rest because the plastic body has square (kind of) corners which will have to be sanded off. I'll look closer tonight and see if removing the corners will have any detrimental effects to the strength of the bolt mechanism.:(
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

kenbu wrote:Those Shopsmith handles (parts 521688 and 521689) are very nice, Ed. With the exposed allen heads they would be much easier to routinely remove and reinstall, if necessary, than the ones I'm using. Cheap, too! Nice to have options.

Ken
Yes it is nice to have options.

When adjusted properly it is almost like a switch, instead of "on" and "off" it is "tight" and "loose".

When I got my collection I got them a little cheaper by getting I think it was 10 of them. Needless to say that sounded like a lot but all of them found a home and I'll want to order a few more this spring. I'm trying to remember who I got mine from, perhaps lee valley??

Ed