Replaced Sheave/Quadrant now motor noisey

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wmjbean
Bronze Member

Replaced Sheave/Quadrant now motor noisey

Post by wmjbean »

Sheesh: :confused:

Somehow I didn't keep the sheave bearing lubricated quite enough and it went toast on me. I replaced the sheave/bearing assembly (there's no hole on the new one!!!) and quadrant since it got chewed into. The unit ran great for about two hours.

Now the motor is making a lot of noise. I know it's the motor because I pulled the housing off, disconnected the drive belt, held it away from the power sheaves and ran the motor for a short time. This way the motor is the only thing turning.

I still hear a lot of racket. It sounds like the bearings.

Now I know that new parts put more strain on old parts, so I guess this is what happened. I'm aggravated though (and going through greenie withdrawal). :eek:

So my question is where do I get the bearings? I know I can replace them, but don't want to replace the motor as it's just fine. That and the fact that this is a 1955 Mark V 500 and I want to keep as much of it original as possible.

Any ideas?
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Replacing the bearings will be an easy repair for an electric motor repair shop. They can also inspect the windings and replace the centrifugal switch if necessary.
wmjbean
Bronze Member

Post by wmjbean »

8iowa wrote:Replacing the bearings will be an easy repair for an electric motor repair shop. They can also inspect the windings and replace the centrifugal switch if necessary.
8Iowa. I know this is a good suggestion, however I live on the west side of Los Angeles. I can't say I've seen a single motor repair shop anywhere over here.

There is a Grainger nearby though which is why I asked about the bearings. I know they carry them.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi wmjbean,
wmjbean wrote:8Iowa. I know this is a good suggestion, however I live on the west side of Los Angeles. I can't say I've seen a single motor repair shop anywhere over here.

There is a Grainger nearby though which is why I asked about the bearings. I know they carry them.
Wow! You are right. I just did a search and the closest ones that I found are more then 20 miles away from downtown LA:eek: . Maybe this will help:

Electric Motor Repair (714) 891-5386
Westminster, CA 92683
25.16 miles from the center of Los Angeles, CA

Fox Electric Motor & Pump Repair (714) 995-4660
8307 Standustrial St Stanton, CA 90680-2617
22.35 miles from the center of Los Angeles, CA

To me, these would not be that far: I travel 80 miles round trip to the "shop" everyday. But, living in LA, you might use alternate forms of trans? Good Luck:D .

Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Those don't seem like long drives to me.

I have lived in Westlake Village and Mission Viejo. We drove that far for groceries.:rolleyes: Back then gasoline was $1.35/gallon.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wmjbean
Bronze Member

Found a place.

Post by wmjbean »

As luck would have it I used citysearch (which rarely works as it's never updated) and found a shop less than a mile from me.

The owner quoted me a high rate, had the motor fixed (it purrs now) and charged me much less than expected.

Hey, you know how it is, too many repair folks out there try to tell you everything in the book is wrong with your "whatever" and charge you accordingly; coming in just under what a new part would cost.

He had the unit repaired in a day; it was a bearing. He also replaced the lead wires as the ones there looked to be the originals.

Now apparently he's going out of business.

He tells me he has three big customers that he might see once a year. Granted the area has changed (a lot) over the years, but the way L.A. is you want things to be close by or try to do more than two things in the area you are going to to make the &$#(&# freeway drive worth it.

Anyway my greenie is purring again and it's thanks to this older gentleman who is throwing in the towel. I am very sorry to see this guy go.

I do want to thank you gentlemen for the help though.