Over the table router

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

futralwoodworks
Gold Member

Over the table router

Post by futralwoodworks »

I'm makng a bed for my neice. I have to route several flutes with a box cove bit. I don't have adecent router table, but got a 1/2" router collet not long after I got my SS. Opinions on using it as an over the table router??
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Shallow cuts and slow feed will get it done!
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I'm not sure this is the best method.
I had to cut a lot of flutes in some wood columns and I tried most everything and nothing was fool proof until I built a jig that made the process so simple and foolproof.

It consists of two thin stripes of plywood. Some runners and a few pieces of hardware.

Base is strip of 1/4 ply about 18 inches long and 6 inches wide. At one end I connect a runner of 1x1x6. 12 inches from the end of the ply I start a slot in the middle of ply heading to end without runner. In this slot I put a bolt and nut that holds the second runner on. The wood to be fluted goes between the runners and runners are moved together so there is no slop.

The second piece of ply is about 2 inches bigger than the base of router. It is mounted onto the router and two holes are drill on a center line of the router.

This is then placed on the first sheet of ply and slots are cut in that ply that allow the second sheet to slide lengthwise right and left. Through the holes and slots put nuts and bolts and this allow you to adjust the router to where you want the flute cut in wood.

I made my flutes about an inch apart and I used 1/2 flute.

I took the jig tightened the runner against the board to be fluted. I then slid the second board to top board holding the router to first place I wanted the flute. Tightened my adjusting bolts and began my cut perfect parallel down the board. Adjust the router depth until I got the cut the depth I wanted and then moved the top board to left 1 inch and began again. When I finished I had a board with 6 perfectly parallel and straight flutes. The jig made it almost impossible for the anything to go wrong the only thing I had to be careful of was setting the router correctly.

Here is a picture of one made by infinity http://www.infinitytools.com/Fluting-Ji ... o/115-033/

It uses a two piece bottom where mine was a one piece with sliding runners.
I think mine would be easier to adjust but the picture may help you visualize what I'm trying describe. Mine was simple to build.
Sorry I don't have pictures of mine but I know I saw some similar to mine after I built mine but I can't find them now.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!