Freud D1050X Review

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

warningintruder
Gold Member

Freud D1050X Review

Post by warningintruder »

Well I am going to try to do a review on the Freud D1050X Diablo 10" combination saw blade.I will be testing it this weekend in my shop while I build new shop cabinets. I think this will be a good test for a blade of this price range {I got it on close out from a supplier for twenty dollars} The types of material I will be cutting and ripping are 3/4" MDO Plywood,1/2 CDX,1/4 Pegboard,1x6KD Fir,1x12KD #3 Pine and 2x4KDC Fir.I know this is a wide range of material for this blade but contractors that I have sold this blade to swear by it they say its a good all around blade for all there work.Here are the Technical Details of this blade.
Laser cut stabilizer vents trap noise and vibration keeping it cool and reducing blade warp.
Laser cut heat expansion slots allow blade to expand due to heat build-up keeping the cut true and straight.
Durable micrograin titanium carbide for extreme durability, razor-sharp cuts, and long life.
Tri-metal shock resistant brazing allows carbide tips to withstand extreme impact for maximum durability.
Laser cut arbor for accurate blade rotation reducing vibration and premature wear.
So I will try it out and see what happens and then post the results:)
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Shopsmith no longer offers the 200 tooth plywood blade, or any of the steel blades. In fact, looking at several other sources, it appears that steel blades are a thing of the past. Carbide apparently dominates now.

With some projects ahead of me requiring cuts in fine plywood, I am considering Freud's LU96R, thin kerf 80T carbide blade. It is rated excellent for chipboard, plywood, and melamine. I have Shopsmith's 60T crosscut blade and it does a pretty good job on plywood, but is not rated as good for the composite materials.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi 8iowa,
I prefer carbide for all uses. I almost quit routing until I discovered carbide router bits (many years ago). If they came out with BS carbide blades, I would use them too (I don't see that happening:rolleyes: ). I haven't purchased a non-carbide circular blade in I don't know how many years. If there are a lot of blade users that feel like me, sales on non-carbide blades would drop like a hot potato. If no one bought them, production would stop, and they would no longer be available. Maybe that is what is happening?

Currently, I do know that Sears still offers a varity of non-carbide saw blades, including a plywood blade.:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

There are carbide BS blades available. Most require a minimum of an 18" wheel because of the minimum radius being larger than a steel blade. Also the cost can be 200 - 300 or more. The reviews I've read on them were impressive.
Jim in Tucson
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

james.miller wrote:There are carbide BS blades available. Most require a minimum of an 18" wheel because of the minimum radius being larger than a steel blade. Also the cost can be 200 - 300 or more. The reviews I've read on them were impressive.

Thanks Jim!

I will definitely look into that for my 20" saw. Quite frankly, I never would have thought it likely; I wonder about damage to the tires:confused: .
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
warningintruder
Gold Member

My Review

Well it was a busy day in the shop and I used the Freud D1050X on everything I cut up or ripped.I went to work to pickup my MDO plywood that I ordered from a wholesaler friend of mine,good deals from him:) and to my amazement he had sent me HDO Plywood oh well no problem I thought.So I set my SS up for ripping these 3/4" seventy pound monsters with two roller stands for the catch and two friends to help-my Son and my Wife.This stuff is very slick and glided across my
fresh waxed tables like it was on ice! very hard to handle but the Freud blade cut thru it like it was nothing at all.The rips were clean and true.After that ripping my 1/2cdx and 1/4 pegboard was nothing.Later in the day I started ripping my 1x12 pine the blade did very good its not a glue line rip but thats not what this blade is for,the rips were clean and looked great.I used it the rest of the day to cut fir-pine-plywood-HDO and it did a great job on all of it.So would I
recommend or buy this blade again yes I would for a blade in this price range to do what it does is a bargain:D
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

What is HDO Plywood and what is it good for?
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
warningintruder
Gold Member

paulmcohen HDO or its full name High Density Overlaid Plywood is used in the concrete industry to build forms it can be used up to 25 times because of how tough it is the surface of it is resin overlay that is very smooth and slick.I used it to build my shop cabinets out of because of the great price I got on it and it will be a long time before it wears out.
dusty
Platinum Member

HDO Plywood

Post by dusty »

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.