520 table not level?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

520 table not level?

Post by Bruce »

I have a 520 (started as a 500, then upgraded to 510, then 520). Anyway, I purchased the cross-cut sliding table (pn 555535) a while back and have noticed that when I slide the table forward to where the washer on the miter-bar exits the miter slot and then try to slide the table back to the front of the table, the washer (or whatever it's called) will not re-engage the miter slot with out pressing down on the table. I thought this behavior was kind of weird since I was using the extension table to keep the sliding table level. Today I checked the main table and it is not flat. With a straightedge laid from the front left corner to the right rear corner, there is a huge gap (.015) at the center of the table. When I put the straightedge across the opposite corners (RF to LR), the center is high. Is there anything that can be done to flatten the table?
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Well, after posting this I went back and re-read the post titled "main table ribbing". Maybe I need to re-visit aligning the table. I doubt if that will correct all of the problem, though. Has any one else had this problem with the cross-cut sliding table?
dusty
Platinum Member

520 table not level?

Post by dusty »

Actually, I would describe your situation as a table that is "not flat" rather than "not level".

You could level it if it was flat. Since it is not flat and since it is cast, I don't believe it can be "fixed". However, your problem could be trunnions; you could be twisting the table when you tighten the trunnions bolts.

When did you do the upgrade that brought you the current table? I expect that would be the 500 to 510 upgrade.

Nick has previously addressed a case of an out-of-true table.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... light=flat
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Sliding Cross Cut Table

Post by dusty »

I have had the same experience with the miter bar on the x-cut table. I remounted the miter bar so that the "washer" was under the table rather than out in front.

In other words, I turned the miter bar end-for-end.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.