Suggestions to remove a stuck chuck?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

idcook wrote:The Stuck Chuck:

[ATTACH]20580[/ATTACH]

skou — I’ll give that a shot. Will 3-in-1 oil serve the purpose?
3-in-1 oil is better than nothing, but real penetrating oil works better at freeing rusty joints. Something like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. Any auto-parts store will have some.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

To expand on what Terry said. Cut two wooded wedges, with a slot in the middle to fit around the arbor. Place one on each side and tap the left one in, then the right one. Trying to keep em both somewhat even. Seeing if ya get any movement. Ya might want to put something across the way tubes to catch the chuck in case it suddenly pops off.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

idcook wrote:fiat — spalling? Interesting. Looks clean, but I hadn’t considered that.

I think the word really should be galling.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Another prying option would be a tie rod separator

[ATTACH]20582[/ATTACH]

Just make sure the one you use will clear the spindle. Most will.
Attachments
tierodseperator.jpg
tierodseperator.jpg (14.07 KiB) Viewed 6828 times
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

’lo Ed; Terry (nod)

Okay… (sorta)

The oil and a couple of wrenches got the chuck turning on the spindle but it moved no further from the collar.

After a few minutes I noticed what looked suspiciously like a rust coloring gathering in the oil visible in the set screw hole. I turned the stock to the vertical position hoping this will help the oil work its way between the sections where the spindle and chuck are caressing one another. Devoted to one another though they may be, their relationship must come to an end. It’s alright with me if they remain friends, but marriage is out of the question.

As suggested by beeg, I’ll slosh in a little more oil, wait a couple hours and take a look to see what gives. if needed I’ll use a blunted wood shim and a rubber mallet to see if the chuck can be moved away from the collar.

Thanks folks.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="idcook"]’lo Ed]

You said you were able to turn the chuck some. This is a good sign. Now, patience must become you friend. If you get over zealous, you'll get it jammed on real good. Try turning it back the other way and then back and forth while keeping it oiled up with something like PB Blaster.

You'll be amazed when you discover just how small the object is that has it stuck.

On a machine that has not bee used and abused, that chuck will suck air when you pull it off the shaft. It is closely machined to the size of the shaft.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

What wood you people think about using evaporust or CLR in place of a penetrating oil?

Bob
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

dusty wrote:You said you were able to turn the chuck some. This is a good sign. Now, patience must become you friend. If you get over zealous, you'll get it jammed on real good. Try turning it back the other way and then back and forth while keeping it oiled up with something like PB Blaster.

You'll be amazed when you discover just how small the object is that has it stuck.

On a machine that has not bee used and abused, that chuck will suck air when you pull it off the shaft. It is closely machined to the size of the shaft.

’lo dusty,

The chuck is rotating on the spindle easily in both directions.

For now, it’s oiled up better than an overworked pole dancer.

I’ll check it again in a few hours.
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

dusty wrote:You said you were able to turn the chuck some. This is a good sign. Now, patience must become you friend. If you get over zealous, you'll get it jammed on real good. Try turning it back the other way and then back and forth while keeping it oiled up with something like PB Blaster.

’lo dusty,

The chuck is rotating on the spindle easily in both directions. Just need to get it to free itself of the spindle altogether.

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

idcook wrote:’lo dusty,

The chuck is rotating on the spindle easily in both directions. Just need to get it to free itself of the spindle altogether.

If it spins (rotates) easily on the shaft but is hard to pull off, I doubt that oiling it is going to help anymore. It is now time to overcome the burr (or whatever) that is preventing its' easy removal.

Time for the wedges and rubber mallet OR (something I've never heard suggested here) a bearing puller like device. Like maybe a bearing puller.

Using the chuck key, can you open the chuck so that you can see the end of the shaft?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.