Rotary PlanerÂ… any experience with them?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

idcook
Gold Member

Rotary Planer… any experience with them?

Post by idcook »

Taking a respite from working on this chuck I look around at things that might prove useful to me in the short term.

Not seeing myself in a position to purchase a large planer in the immediate future I’ve been noticing rotary planers that I run into here and there.

I know that the largest area they cover in a single pass is about 3 inches but, so long as they work effectively, that doesn’t seem to be cause for concern.

Still, my better angels instruct that I seek the voice of experience.

Anyone here have any experience using, or have anything to offer regarding pros and cons of rotary planers?
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

[quote="idcook"]Taking a respite from working on this chuck I look around at things that might prove useful to me in the short term.

Not seeing myself in a position to purchase a large planer in the immediate future I&#8217]

Are you referring to the handheld planner, otherwise, known as a "door planner?" If so, as a replacement for a true planner that is 10" or 12+" I don't think they are a great substitution. Probably better off sticking to buying S4S ( 4 side finished lumber).

Now if you want to go into buying 2 sided finish lumber where the top and bottom are planned, but you need to rip and square the sides, you'd probably better off looking for a used 4" jointer for the Shopsmith.

If I'm way off base, someone around here will let me know.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I think he might be referring to the drill press mounted Saf-T-Planer. I've never used one.

I have a collection of hand planes that gives me a workout when I need to reduce thickness.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Shopsmith use to sell these, I believe they were made by Wagner and sold as a Safe-T-planer. Stewmac.com use to have them and still has an short blurb about the use of them. Wagner no longer makes them so as I know.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Buildin ... ord=i-0485

The only simular one I know about is this:

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PART ... RGEVIEW=ON

I have used one (shopsmith version) but that was a lot of years ago. The blades on mine are dull and I have relocate the special grinding stones if I have any hope of using it. Other use to have a model that mounted on radial arm saw, my brother had that type, he didn't like and gave it to me. It rotated the wrong way(direction opposite) a drill press so I gave it away.

I had no issues with it but you do have to know what you are doing.

It was a favorite of guitar makers but not so much everyday woodworkers.

It does not replace a jointer, planer, hand planes, or any of those type tool for most applications. Think of it as more a niche market item.

Ed
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I have one and have started to use it much more frequently lately and actually like it quite a bit. It's especially good for small and already thin pieces. It also took some trial and error to figure out how to use it properly. If you have the sharpening stone, make sure you sharpen the blades.

There's several videos on YouTube showing it's use, but this is a good one that covers sharpening as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfaLmBGKjJY
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

Yes, the drill press mounted planer is what I’m referring to.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I have not used one but I recall reading somewhere that they do in deed work well, but cause a real mess with chips!
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

By my experience so far 'a real mess' just comes with the woodwork territory. A few more chips wouldn’t be quite disturbing. :o