Hands-On and Shopsmith Journals DVDs

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Hands-On and Shopsmith Journals DVDs

Post by ryanbp01 »

I don't know how many of you took advantage of the latest e-mail special where the latest set of Hands-On dvds were discounted. However, I did and I added the "Shopsmith Journals Maintenance and Alignment"to the order. These are outstanding and should be a part of your collection. I am glad to see the work by Rick Davis being used as part of a "Deluxe help kit". I was able to use it in a personal dvd player and pause it step by step in realigning my Shopsmith. I really liked the part where Rick Davis answered a concern of mine in an earlier thread concerning realigning the speed dial. Thank-you Rick!

Well, time to get in my car and float,er drive home. With all of the rain and snow melt I'm thinking of building an ark (just kiddin'!)

BPR
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I guess I am off the Christmas card list. I don't get emails any longer :confused:
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi paul heller,

I recommend that you re-register your address.:) And one more thing; lately ISP's have started screening your e-mail "for" you in an attempt to eliminate spam. If you do not have the senders e-mail address in your address book (how do they know and why should they know what is in your address book?), you risk not getting e-mail from them. My ISP cannot explain to my satisfaction how they determine what is/is not spam. It has gotten so bad that I have changed my settings so that I get ALL of my "spam". Guess what? About 25% of the SS e-mail that I get is marked as spam and I would not be getting it. And yes, I have their address in my address book. About 80% of the mail that I get marked as spam is mail that I want to get. I do not like spam, but I do not like my mail being screened for me either.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

a1gutterman wrote:Hi Paul,
And yes, I have their address in my address book. About 80% of the mail that I get marked as spam is mail that I want to get. I do not like spam, but I do not like my mail being screened for me either.

The address book they are talking about is your on-line AND off-line address book. If you use Outlook, Outlook Express and anything like that to read mail you are using an off-line address book and your ISP has no idea what is in it. Most likely your ISP also has an on-line address book that you would use IF you were using a browser to read your mail. It is the on-line address book that needs to have the addresses you don't want filtered listed.

Some ISP routinely filter out mass mail, if an ISP detects a lot of mail from one source going to a lot (I don't know the number but I have heard a low as 25) they decide it is SPAM and filter it all out.

Third sometimes an ISP will decide a domain of a know mass mailer is sending SPAM and will block all mail sent through that provider. This happened to my wife when she started her new business and Comcast decided that all mail from her company to her private Comcast mail account was spam because her web hosting company as has had people send SPAM from their servers. The solution was to contact Comcast and fill out a form listing the specific domain "Shopsmith.com" or in her case "JewerlybyBert.com" and saying this vendor is not know for sending SPAM. They then turn on the domain and monitor it for complaints, if there are none in 30 days things stay on.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

paulmcohen wrote:.......The solution was to contact Comcast and fill out a form listing the specific domain "Shopsmith.com" or in her case "JewerlybyBert.com" and saying this vendor is not know for sending SPAM. They then turn on the domain and monitor it for complaints, if there are none in 30 days things stay on.

Did that, still get the e-mail (about 25%) tagged as spam. (my ISP is my local phone company, not Comcast)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I'll reregister I guess. I checked the spam filters. They are not the problem as best I can tell. I'll do a bit more checking. For example, I will subscribe to this thread and see if I get email responses.

The last email I received was Dec 2. Gee- I seems I did get kicked off the Christmas card list. :( Was it something I said? Perhaps because I stopped by the shop in Dayton??

Strange, because I bought a LOT from Shopsmith last year. Perhaps they need to care for their list a bit more diligently. If they are going to lose key buyers....

I'm going to be rather annoyed if I missed out on the DVD special because they lost my mailing list. If the problem is not Shopsmith's but really is some kind of spam filter somewhere that I can't find, I'll still be annoyed but will have nowhere to direct the frustration.

Paul
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I haven't got emails in my inbox or junk mail from shopsmith for at least 6 months. I frequent another shopsmith forum and someone there usally post the email specials.:eek:
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

scottss wrote:I haven't got emails in my inbox or junk mail from shopsmith for at least 6 months. I frequent another shopsmith forum and someone there usally post the email specials.:eek:
Looks like they lost some of the original members. :eek:

I can confirm my email is working. I recevied a notification on this thread, and also a confirmation on the sawdust session. I suspect the problem is on Shopsmith's end.

Rather than just re-register, I'd like to call or email someone so they can really check to see if my email was lost off the list. That would help Shopsmith find out if they are indeed losing emails. But who??

Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Customer Service, 1-800-543-7586
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

For the record, I have never had a problem in receiving e-mail specials since I purchased my machine. This might be that I have been using the same provider since it was first available.

BPR