Spray Poly

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mrhart
Platinum Member

Spray Poly

Post by mrhart »

I'm lazy, so when I was at the local Lowes branch getting some Shelac for my biplane project, I got a can of spray poly for a mallet I made over the weekend. Good choice? Why swipe if you can spray!
Pics only after the finish.
R Hart
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Let us know how that stuff works. I have been hesitant to try it due to the removal of the normal gasses that have been used in spray products in the past.
Am wondering if it will atomize well or if the industry is still using the flammable products for the vehicle.
Bill V
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

Use it all the time. Even the oil based dries well. If you get your spray technique down right, it can easily be polished out or even left as is. I use it to build up layers quickly.
forrestb
Platinum Member

good except on white

Post by forrestb »

I made an expandable table for our grandchildren to use when at our house. I primed the surfaces white and let theme decorate then as they pleased with colored markers. I used around 5 coats of spray poly to protect the 'artwork.'

It does protect but that many coats left a light yellow color.

It really does a fast job but don't use too many coats if color is important. Test on similar finish first.

Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

Spray poly was a success. I just sprayed outside over the grass, doing half at a time. I hit it a couple times with some light sanding between. I mean, its a hammer right. :)

[ATTACH]20817[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20818[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20819[/ATTACH]
Attachments
April 05 2013 001.jpg
April 05 2013 001.jpg (124.57 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
April 05 2013 003.jpg
April 05 2013 003.jpg (101.93 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
April 05 2013 002.jpg
April 05 2013 002.jpg (99.7 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
R Hart
JPG
Platinum Member

Hammer handle grain orientation?

Post by JPG »

Nice mallet!

Looking at the handle wedge in the head a question occurred. What grain direction is best for a hammer handle?

I have a preconcieved notion, but wonder what y'all think?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG40504 wrote:What grain direction is best for a hammer handle?

I wood say cross grain of the handle.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Really nice job, Mr. Hart. Have one on the drawing board for a neighbor. :)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

The problem I have with "spray" anything, if you mean rattle cans, is the outrageous price you pay per oz. If you want to spray poly, shellac or lacquer in small quantities, buy a gravity feed touch-up gun at HF for about the price of a can of spray poly and a quart of poly and some thinner. You'll get the same (or probably better) results for a lot less money.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
hb2
Gold Member

Post by hb2 »

JPG40504 wrote:Nice mallet!

Looking at the handle wedge in the head a question occurred. What grain direction is best for a hammer handle?

I remember back 35 years ago when I went to the New York State Ranger School when I studied forest technology. One of things we had to bring to school was an axe. In one of the classes we had to sharpen it. We then received a grade not only on how we sharpened it but also on the geometry of the head and the grain of the handle. The head had to be convex, which I lost points as one side of my axe had a flat spot - there was no way to add metal to a poorly formed head. I also lost points as my axe handle had the grain perpendicular to the direction of swing - the handle breaks easier that way. Aside from that I had done a pretty good job of sharpening it and received a B+.