Belt sander, Mark V question

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jim2007
Bronze Member

Belt sander, Mark V question

Post by jim2007 »

Received an old mark V. Tried the sanding belts that came with it on the belt sander and they came apart at the glued seam (they were pretty old, so no real problem with that).

How do I check that the sander is properly tensioned and aligned? I searched this forum and the books I got with the the Mark V, and I can not see how to properly set tension on the belt sander.

Thanks.
stephanos
Bronze Member

Post by stephanos »

If your 6 X 48 belt sander is like mine, the tension is set automatically when you mount a new belt. To center the running belt, there is an adjustment wheel on the side. I am not aware of any way to adjust the tension of the belt itself, however.

I have also had belts come unglued. I think storing them in a place where they are exposed to temperature extremes contributes to this type of failure. Don't throw away the belts, though. You can affix them to a flat surface and use them to flatten waterstones (the finer grit ones, at least) or to lap the sole of a handplane, sharpen plane blades and chisels, etc. I suppose you could glue one to a stair tread to provide a slip-proof surface.

Steve
robg
Gold Member

Post by robg »

If I remember correctly (I just set up a new belt sander a month ago, but I could still be mistaken), there isn't any tension adjustment at all. The screw spring release is all you get. I don't think that's uncommon with belt sanders though. I have seen industrial sanders with tension adjustments, but I have also seen a lot of sanders with positioning adjustments only.
nimrod
Silver Member

Post by nimrod »

The belt tension is adjusted by the knob on the end of the top roller. If i remember right, you loosen it all the way, then crank it back 3 full turns to start.

It's all detailed in the instruction book.
robg
Gold Member

Post by robg »

Nimrod, they might have changed the way it works since you got your sander. (or I might just misunderstand it). My knob is spring loaded. I turn it to loosen the belt, but let it go to provide tension.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Folks, I wrote the belt sander manual (eons ago, it seems), so I put the "Alignment and Adjustment" section in a .pdf file for all to share. It answers all the issues raised in this thread. Here's the link:http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Academy ... gnment.pdf

With all good wishes,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks Nick! Your version is going in my shopsmith folder right next to the one that came with my belt sander (which is from a 1972 issue of a 1955 copyrighted manual back when shopsmith was in Vandalia). That is what I was shipped with my beltsander back in 1976. I never knew they had updated the manual...

Ed
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

So, is it just my machine that can't open the file? I get a "404" error (file not found) when trying to open the belt sander alignment and adjustment link in Nick's post.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

OUCH the site is so slow today!

I went to check and I get the same thing. Now it could be that the site is all messed up today as noted by how slow it is OR it could be when they redid that part of the site they just never thought to let us know where the page moved to.

I went and looked around at the site and I did not find it by digging around a little but with things so slow it was no fun.......

So maybe you need to email the site or Nick so they can fix it. If you are dead in the water without it let me know I may have saved it electronically when I printed my copy.... or maybe if I didn't someone else did.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Belt Sander PDF

Post by dusty »

I have it if no one else does. Let me know. It is no longer listed in the online products manuals.

I understand that a stack of these is under going review in preparation for being put back on the owners site.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.