Selling tools

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wgander
Gold Member

Selling tools

Post by wgander »

Any ideas about where/how I should try to sell my tools besides Craig’s list?
I’ve got a 510, Pro-Planer, Bandsaw, Scrollsaw, Jointer,Belt sander, Strip sander, Speed Increaser, Speed reducer, Dust Collector,Precision Chuck, Ring Master, Mill-Route and most of the tools and accessoriesfor each.
We’re selling the home with my shop in the backyard andtraveling by motor home, towing our car on a dolly. New home is a condo and Iprobably won’t be doing any woodworking. I’m supposing it would cost a fortuneto pack them up and ship them cross country.
I’ve enjoyed them all so much over the years (starting in’78) that I’m really disappointed in how little money they are worth in resale.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

And what's wrong with Craigslist? Everyone in the world can find your items for sale in a matter of minutes. And it's free. I do a search every day using http://www.searchtempest.com/ and it does a good job of locating anything you are wanting to buy.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

Well, I don't know your situation, but I don't recommend getting rid of everything with retirement and a move, or just a move. Moving is high on the stress scale; up there with divorce and death of a spouce! Being surrounded by things we love and love doing lessens the stress and keeps one healthy.

Have you checked what it would cost you to freight your tools to your new location? It might be less than you think. Then too, have a trusted friend or family member U-Haul your tools to your new location. You might want to put them in storage until you locate a place you can make a shop, then do the U-Haul trip yourself. Once you are settled in your new location and making new shop friends, you are in a better place to advertize and sell your equipment at more than fire sell prices. Just some thoughts. The psychotherapist Carl Jung used to note that a part of our soul is in the things that we love and to have them ripped away leaves one homesick. In the middle ages, home-sickness was viewed as a life-threatening condition, something I think that moderns overlook.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wgander wrote:Any ideas about where/how I should try to sell my tools besides Craig’s list?
I’ve got a 510, Pro-Planer, Bandsaw, Scrollsaw, Jointer,Belt sander, Strip sander, Speed Increaser, Speed reducer, Dust Collector,Precision Chuck, Ring Master, Mill-Route and most of the tools and accessoriesfor each.
We’re selling the home with my shop in the backyard andtraveling by motor home, towing our car on a dolly. New home is a condo and Iprobably won’t be doing any woodworking. I’m supposing it would cost a fortuneto pack them up and ship them cross country.
I’ve enjoyed them all so much over the years (starting in’78) that I’m really disappointed in how little money they are worth in resale.
I'd like to tell you to bring them over here and that I'd give them a good home until you decided you wanted to come and get them but there just isn't enough room for it all.

I agree though that you do not want to separate from all of that without some serious though and a test period. Getting rid of it could be a decision you will regret big time.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

I'll second WmZiggy's comments on stress and what relieves it. I'll add that your disappointment in how little the tools will bring is a two edged sword. You may not get as much as you want, but after the move, you could acquire replacements at prices near what you've sold your equipment for. In my experience, if you're willing to wait (and your tools are in good condition and maintained) they can bring a premium. Also if you're willing to wait, you can find bargains waiting to be plucked.

If you're looking to get the most money out of the sale of your equipment, and you have the time it takes, parting the pieces out looks like it gives the best return. I hate seeing that happen but it does seem to be reality.

I don't know your situation either, but giving up a hobby you've enjoyed since '78 seems rather drastic. You may be moving and downsizing but there are usually alternatives. Renting a garage, shop, or part of a shop or hanger seems possible in most places.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
lwedwards
Silver Member

Post by lwedwards »

I know you are noe supposed to sell on the forum, but I am just up the road and would be interested in the Belt sander, Strip sander, Speed Increaser, and Speed reducer. I have all the other items slong with three Mark V's.
wgander
Gold Member

Tools

Post by wgander »

I didn't suggest anything's wrong with Craigslist.
I'm not trying to sell the tools here.
Been retired for over 10 years and have several interests/hobbies.
The tools are at our summer home in PA and it's getting too expensive to maintain two homes, so we're thinking of selling it.
We live in San Diego.

Bill
db5
Platinum Member

First Things First

Post by db5 »

Determine First what you value:

Do you really use the SS and tools or do you want to sell them?

If you really want to keep and use them then the cost of shipping is mice nuts compared to what things are going for in SD on Craigslist. Ship them. I did that 8 years ago and have parted out a SS last year for far more than the shipping cost or sale on Craigslist.

If you won't use it then sell it on Craigslist. You can sell the SS and ship the other parts cheaply and sell later or sell all of it. You might want to look at what things are REALLY selling for (not listed for) before pricing. Price anything right and it is gone in sixty minutes.

I assume you are moving from PA to SD (not clear). So, what have you to sell? PM me with pictures as well as anyone else who responded to this.

While you can't sell here there are no rules that say you can't post what you have and ask for a PM from someone who is interested. Having said that we may have some new rules.

Where are you moving to? That may be a better place to sell the SS.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

db5 wrote: . . .
While you can't sell here there are no rules that say you can't post what you have and ask for a PM from someone who is interested. Having said that we may have some new rules.
. . .

I for one am thankful that that is possible!;):cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

db5 wrote:While you can't sell here there are no rules that say you can't post what you have and ask for a PM from someone who is interested. Having said that we may have some new rules.

Where are you moving to? That may be a better place to sell the SS.
So HOW is that knot selling it here?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob