Using Pipe Clamps for Glue Ups

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mrhart
Platinum Member

Using Pipe Clamps for Glue Ups

Post by mrhart »

Whenever I've tried gluing up things in the pipe clamps I have, they want to bow up. Two boards together and the tendency of the clamps seems to make things go kitty-wampus, and the more pressure, the more dramatic it is. If 3 or more boards are together it just gets even more dramatic.
I set the clamps facing up and lay the work right on the black pipe so its flat and level. It seems good until there is pressure applied. I put a 25lb cast weight on the work sometimes to help keep downward pressure.

I know this might be a dumb question for the veterans here, but I need to get better at this. :(

Maybe a you tube video search.
R Hart
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

These look like they wood work.:D

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... blebar.htm

Don't have much experience with it, but I've seen people use the pipe or bar clamps by alternating the clamps topside and bottomside of the panels to even it out.
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

I think many folks use boards, called cauls, on either side of the work pieces clamped together to hold the work straight. I found this sight when I googled.
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Pipe clamps seem go have inaccurate angles on the clamping faces.

The ss clamps are convex across the length similar to cauls.

You can easily make some cauls yourself.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodnews/2010april/cauls.html
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange