Mark VII Carriage Breakdown

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Mark VII Carriage Breakdown

Post by JPG »

The Mark VII does not use a way tube spacer to position the carriage to the headstock(blade to slot etc.), but instead has a notched rod with three indexed positions. Resembles an arrow protruding from the carriage.:D

[ATTACH]20884[/ATTACH]

The rod is threaded and screws into the outer(bottom in the pix) side of the carriage. The carriage end of the rod is slotted to enable adjusting the stops. A jam nut secures it in position.

[ATTACH]20885[/ATTACH]

The table height lock nut and crank are similar(smaller) to Mark V 505-520.

[ATTACH]20886[/ATTACH]

The pinion gears are the same as all Mark 5 through Mark 7.

[ATTACH]20887[/ATTACH]

This thread is linked to from http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=11373
Attachments
carriage b4.jpg
carriage b4.jpg (500.9 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
carriage a.jpg
carriage a.jpg (454.42 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
carriage b.jpg
carriage b.jpg (491.21 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
carriage c.jpg
carriage c.jpg (449.2 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Both pinion gears are merely pulled out from the carriage.

[ATTACH]20888[/ATTACH]

The pinion shaft resembles other models and has a c-clip on the rear end.

[ATTACH]20889[/ATTACH]

Now where have I seen a carriage lock similar to this?:rolleyes:

[ATTACH]20890[/ATTACH]
Attachments
carriage d.jpg
carriage d.jpg (489.64 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
carriage e.jpg
carriage e.jpg (333.27 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
carriage f.jpg
carriage f.jpg (495.83 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

First the locking nut must be removed. It is shallow and is not easy to move, so a good socket wrench must be used to 'adjust' or remove it.

[ATTACH]20891[/ATTACH]

Once the nut has been removed, I thought the shaft could be pushed out the front. However this stuff said otherwise. The collar behind the handle will not let the wedge pass through it. The collar is 'stuck' on a tension pin. Once it got 'unstuck', it all moved out the front.

[ATTACH]20892[/ATTACH]

This pix is to remind me how it came apart(so far).

[ATTACH]20893[/ATTACH]

And all the stuff in front disassembled. I do not yet understand the handle/white piece/collar function, but do know the handle steps fit against the white piece steps and the collar nibs go into the white piece slots, and the collar fits over the pin in the carriage. I am guessing the white piece creates a stop to prevent too much pressure to the wedges.* That long tension pin secures the handle to the shaft.

* Nope! The white piece provides a camming surface that squeezes the wedges together. The step is a 'loose' stop.

[ATTACH]20894[/ATTACH]

Mystery nubbin????

[ATTACH]20895[/ATTACH]
Attachments
carriage lock a.jpg
carriage lock a.jpg (503.55 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
carriage lock b.jpg
carriage lock b.jpg (413.82 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
carriage lock c.jpg
carriage lock c.jpg (255 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
carriage lock d.jpg
carriage lock d.jpg (525.29 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
carriage lock e.jpg
carriage lock e.jpg (472.64 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Mike vonBuelow
Gold Member

Post by Mike vonBuelow »

My mystery nubbin has something protruding from it... any ideas what it is meant for?

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1410489605
Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury
CNC HARDWARE: Lumenlab MicRo CNC
WOOD TURNING HARWARD: ShopSmith Mark 7
SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
FIRMWARE: My brain
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mike vonBuelow wrote:My mystery nubbin has something protruding from it... any ideas what it is meant for?

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachment.htm?attachmentid=26176&d=1410489605
Looks like a tension pin. I will revisit the carriage tomorrow.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Mike vonBuelow
Gold Member

Post by Mike vonBuelow »

Re: Tension Pin - I talked with SS customer service, she had no idea what it's for...she even put me on hold to ask others - no answers! :eek:
Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury
CNC HARDWARE: Lumenlab MicRo CNC
WOOD TURNING HARWARD: ShopSmith Mark 7
SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
FIRMWARE: My brain
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mike vonBuelow wrote:Re: Tension Pin - I talked with SS customer service, she had no idea what it's for...she even put me on hold to ask others - no answers! :eek:
Since mine also has the nubbin, I assume it was an abandoned design or has something to do with die casting. I also assume a PO put that tension pin in there.

i.e. stop fretting over it!;)

Did you really expect folks a half century removed from the initial design to have a concise, accurate answer?:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Mike
Gold Member

Re: Mark VII Carriage Breakdown

Post by Mike »

I think the tension pin is a stop for the pinion gear? See pic
Attachments
7BC9B7F0-A935-4AF6-98AD-7DE65360EE6D.jpeg
7BC9B7F0-A935-4AF6-98AD-7DE65360EE6D.jpeg (397.22 KiB) Viewed 439 times
I may be old but I’m slow
https://www.schmuckatellico.com/
https://scshiftknob.com