Woodworking defined

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fiatben
Platinum Member

Woodworking defined

Post by fiatben »

I think the guys at Fine Woodworking got this one right....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-NUzHXh ... ploademail

It would be funnier if it wasn't so close to being the truth :eek:
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Very cute. Too close to the truth!. But whoever did the sheetrock work around that lightbulb base should be ashamed of their work.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I initially thought a round lamp base mounted to a square box, but upon closer 'examination', . . . . . .

A true hacker's job indeed!

Nice 'bit'.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I totally need to make the half tennis ball bit thing. Some of my light bulbs are in recessed cans and it's hard to get my hand on them.

Very funny and somewhat true.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

The box for the new light bulb, made me think that soon we will not be able to buy that type of light bulb anymore ....
In my big hardware store, they stop selling them in February of this year.
The new led lamp are much too expansive for my pocket.
I know a few Dollo stores (I call them that way) They still carry them, but they are not very long lasting I think because they are cheaper ...
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I've been on such a rant about the end of incandescent light bulbs (my favorite being the GE Reveal) and how the CFLs hurt my eyes and give me a headache that, for Christmas, I received several boxes of my favorite incandescent bulbs from family members!

And I still don't have the stockpile I wish I had.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

Couple this clip with the work of Congress to ban the incandescent light bulb. That's all I could think when I saw the special box with bulb in it. I don't have mine in a special box, but I have enough stored away to out last me.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Guys, I used to rent a trailer, and the landlord paid the utility bills. There, I LOVED incandescents. Now, that I'm payin' the electric bill, I've got NOTHING but CFLs. (Curly-fry lights.) Replaced all my 75 watt bulbs with 17 watt CFLs. 14 watt is the replacement for 100 watt bulbs, but I like it bright and cheap.

A 5 pack cost over $20 At Target. I remember a 4 pack of the cheap incandescent bulbs being $1.00 on sale.

Luckily, the CFLs don't cause me any headaches, or stuff.

steve
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

And another factor they never talk about in regard to the incandesent light bulb, is the heat it provides during winter; it lessens the work of the furnace! Now in the Spring and Summer we have daylight savings, so the need for artifical light lessens and I think it works against air conditioning less. I don't have studies on this, but I bet they exist but aren't published or discussed because they don't support the use of stuff they are pushing on us.

If just to feel better watch this video: http://www.videos2view.net/smackdown.htm
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

I tried CFL's in certain areas when I moved to this house 3 years ago. About $30 down the drain within 6 months when they all burned out. Rinse, repeat, all burned out within 6 months again.

Replaced with incandescent and none have burned out in almost 2 years.

My avg monthly bill is only about $50 on a a good size 80+ year old house with 80+ year old windows. I don't see how CFL's are ever going to make sense for me to throw money at again unless I have no other choice.