Insurance whoa's

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Swampgator
Something is wrong somewhere. Lowes here sell hurricane straps to anyone. Also you don't have to allow any city or state inspector into your house. They can get a court order but they have to show cause for doing it and just wanting to see what you did on this inside is not cause.
As for electricity you can do what you want, but your insurance may not cover you if they can prove the insurance claim was started by what you did. You can not do this is someone else's house unless you have a license.

My son in law was a General Contractor and the only people we licenses were HVAC, Plumber, and Electrician. Everyone else could be from off the street. HOwever on new construction the inspector can come into the house and they do. checking every hurrican clip, every board is nail down and things like that.

Many people hear of the devastation in South Florida with hurricane Antony back in late 90's. What most stories don't tell is a lot of the roof sheating wasn't nailed down on those roofs. When the wind came in it picked up 4x8 sheets of ply that was held down with the tar paper and shingles. I went down there to help and there were hundreds of 4x8 sheets of ply with tar paper and shingles laying all over the place. The builder just laid the sheets on the roof and shingled over them. So to compensate for such idiots Florida lawmakers went nuts.

The new wind codes even dictate the amount of roof overhang. So if you want to build a house with good overhand to shade the house walls you can't it now had to be less than 12 inches. Also trying to get a normal gable end roof inspected is almost impossible. They want all roofs to be hip roofs. Sliding glass doors are hard to get approved if over 6 feet wide and the list goes on and on. Crazy just because some fly by night builder in south florida wanting to save money built a whole communitee hundreds of houses but never nailed down the roof sheating.
Ed, that's what I thought, but I have run into problems like the one with hurricane clips. Maybe, it triggered because I had 56 clips in my hand. It was obvious that I was going to do a whole house.

Neighbor, next door, had rot on her windows and doors. Armed inspectors came to the house, gave a citation. Then when they returned to inspect the work, they wanted to go in and see how the rest of the house was. So, they checked her wiring and plumbing.

When I had this house re-wired, I could not buy sufficient wiring without a license. I was told over and over that I needed a license to purchase the wiring. So, the electrician purchased all his stuff and brought it to the house. Of course, I wrote the check to cover the cost. LOL What a trip! And, while they were re-wiring, they broke a fluorescent fixture in the kitchen. It took the wife a while to decide on what she wanted for replacement. The electrician told me clearly that I could not legally install the light fixture. Most people with a minimum of handyman know how can do this and it works fine. I sat in meetings of the local city council where contractors did not want homeowners doing anything to their houses. Now they have those laws on the books. But, as you said, unless there is probable cause, they cannot enter and check. But, if anything happens the insurance reps come in and inspect and they will point out that one little project you did and state that is the cause of the problem, therefore, no pay. They tried to stop me from painting my windows. What a crock! I ignored them as there is no hazard to putting paint on wood. I think that the inspector had a friend who was a painting contractor. It is so aggravating and unaffordable. Most of us can't afford an electrician every time we need to change out an outlet, switch or lamp fixture. I do them because I have no insurance. Been doing it since 1956 or so. Had to fix stuff at home as my farming grandparents had no idea how it worked, but as a kid, I figured it out and did it. Never caused a fire or explosion. Guess I'm a lucky one according to the bureaucracy. LOL

Ahhh! Yes, I replaced the boards on my gable ends and the building inspectors didn't like that either. But, it was not structural changes, so they couldn't really stop me. Just harassment. Installed my soffits and they were nosing around again. Did it better than a contractor who did secure pieces to the bridging. So, a good wind blew most of it out. Mine remains and does not move in winds up to 70 mph.
Ok, will call the electrician and see if I can put up my fixture while he watches. LOL:eek:
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
fredsheldon wrote: I have puchased 2 storm generators.

I have looked into generators and frankly it isn't worth it. Unless you have a gas station within walking distance and it has a generator to pump the gas you will probably run out of gas fairly quickly.

Also here in Florida after I think it 2008 everyone went and bought generators, for the first few years they ran them every few months and changed oil, then they began to slack off and now after 5 years or more most would not start if you primed them with gun powder.:eek:
They are all over the craigslist in my area since it has been 5 years of taking up space not to mention the purchase price of a thousand or more without a storm.

If you are going to get a generator go natural gas get a huge tank and install one that automatically starts up and runs for few minutes every few months.
My experiece has been: 16 days without power, used my 7500 KW generator to run my frige, roll around A/C, 3 lamps, 2 laptops and their chargers, 2 cell phones and their chargers and a tablet used as a hot spot for network access, microwave, coffee maker and electric razor. I used a total of 25 gallons of fuel which I had stored in 5 6 gal gas cans. I was prepared to drive the 150 miles to San Antonio to purchase more fuel when the power was finally restored. All my neighbors had to leave town to find shelter with power hundreds of miles away. I do like my comforts :)
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fredsheldon wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:
fredsheldon wrote: I have puchased 2 storm generators.

My experiece has been: 16 days without power, used my 7500 KW generator to run my frige, roll around A/C, 3 lamps, 2 laptops and their chargers, 2 cell phones and their chargers and a tablet used as a hot spot for network access, microwave, coffee maker and electric razor. I used a total of 25 gallons of fuel which I had stored in 5 6 gal gas cans. I was prepared to drive the 150 miles to San Antonio to purchase more fuel when the power was finally restored. All my neighbors had to leave town to find shelter with power hundreds of miles away. I do like my comforts :)
You have one fantastic generator. Sixteen days of on/off operation on 25 gallons of fuel is about as good as you are ever going to achieve. You were using a couple of the most demanding appliances too; the refrigerator, microwave and the A/C.

What brand generator?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

[quote="dusty"][quote="fredsheldon"][quote="Ed in Tampa"]

You have one fantastic generator. Sixteen days of on/off operation on 25 gallons of fuel is about as good as you are ever going to achieve. You were using a couple of the most demanding appliances too]

It's a Storm Responder from Sears.

Of course I only ran it part time, just long enough to charge batteries and cool down the frige, cook some dinner and make coffee in the morning and a couple of hours at night to cool down the bedroom with the roll around a/c unit enough to go to bed without sweating. I also would charge the batteries in the battery powered fans. It would burn about 10 gals in a 24 hour period if ran full time.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

swampgator wrote:Ed, that's what I thought, but I have run into problems like the one with hurricane clips. Maybe, it triggered because I had 56 clips in my hand. It was obvious that I was going to do a whole house.

Neighbor, next door, had rot on her windows and doors. Armed inspectors came to the house, gave a citation. Then when they returned to inspect the work, they wanted to go in and see how the rest of the house was. So, they checked her wiring and plumbing.

When I had this house re-wired, I could not buy sufficient wiring without a license. I was told over and over that I needed a license to purchase the wiring. So, the electrician purchased all his stuff and brought it to the house. Of course, I wrote the check to cover the cost. LOL What a trip! And, while they were re-wiring, they broke a fluorescent fixture in the kitchen. It took the wife a while to decide on what she wanted for replacement. The electrician told me clearly that I could not legally install the light fixture. Most people with a minimum of handyman know how can do this and it works fine. I sat in meetings of the local city council where contractors did not want homeowners doing anything to their houses. Now they have those laws on the books. But, as you said, unless there is probable cause, they cannot enter and check. But, if anything happens the insurance reps come in and inspect and they will point out that one little project you did and state that is the cause of the problem, therefore, no pay. They tried to stop me from painting my windows. What a crock! I ignored them as there is no hazard to putting paint on wood. I think that the inspector had a friend who was a painting contractor. It is so aggravating and unaffordable. Most of us can't afford an electrician every time we need to change out an outlet, switch or lamp fixture. I do them because I have no insurance. Been doing it since 1956 or so. Had to fix stuff at home as my farming grandparents had no idea how it worked, but as a kid, I figured it out and did it. Never caused a fire or explosion. Guess I'm a lucky one according to the bureaucracy. LOL

Ahhh! Yes, I replaced the boards on my gable ends and the building inspectors didn't like that either. But, it was not structural changes, so they couldn't really stop me. Just harassment. Installed my soffits and they were nosing around again. Did it better than a contractor who did secure pieces to the bridging. So, a good wind blew most of it out. Mine remains and does not move in winds up to 70 mph.
Ok, will call the electrician and see if I can put up my fixture while he watches. LOL:eek:
Sound like you are letting the "Good Ole Boys" buffalo you.

Now if a house is in ill repair and the city/county has received complaints then there is probable cause and they can come out. However I find it hard to imagine unless if is very obvious and unsightly from the street that they would just stop to complain about rotted windows.

I have bought hundreds of feet of 12 3 with ground romex wiring, over fifty switches and plugs, a breaker box and breakers and rewired houses and no one has ever said a thing. But you are right if the insurance company can prove that a fire started by something you did they won't pay.

I have a contractor friend that was working on a house with permit and totally legal. The renovations were so extensive the family moved out. One day the owner came back to get something and left the closet light on. A fire broke out late the next night and the homeowners insurance company went after my buddies insurance. They won. My buddy now pays higher insurance and he had absolutely nothing to do with the fire. But because the owner wasn't home because of construction his insurance had to pay.

I think I would vote a few country commissioners out. And put in people that aren't back by the builders. I would think places like Home Depot that sell to private people would be up in arms if they can't hurricane clips and wiring to home owners.

My son in law who has a GC rarely bought from Home Depot any initial supplies, way to expensive. We only bought from Home Depot when we ran out and it was easier to run there. So builders are not keeping HD open.

Most builder supply stores (local lumber yards) cater to builders and beat Home Depot prices, by a mile. Of course we were buying pre made trusses from them which was business they wanted real bad.

As best as I can determine there is no law on Florida books that prevent you from buying hurricane clips or any type of wiring. Like I said how would HD stay in business if there was?
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

This thread has reminded me that Florida is a nice place to visit but....

At the end of the day in Missouri, you can fix your house with popsicle sticks and bubble gum if that's what makes you happy. You might get inspected for septic on new construction if you're in a town or county that enforces it but not much of anything else. Just pay your taxes and don't disturb the neighbors and you're free to do whatever you want.
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

I guess if I was turned down to buy straps locally, I just go to their website and have them ship them to me. You should be spending enough to get free shipping.
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

Several years ago the wife and I needed to re-roof the house, gazebo and machine shed. After much research we settled on a metal roof that looks like shake shingles. Here is their web site:
http://www.classicmetalroofingsystems.com/

It was as expensive as a 50 yr asphalt roof, but better. It doen't deteriorate like asphalt, weighs much less reducung the weight on your foundation, reflects 90% of the sun's heat thus not absorbing heat like asphalt and radiating it into the attic thus reducing air conditioning bills. It is good up to 170 mph winds (many roofs in New Orleans survived Katrina) and because it is fireproof, reduces home insurance rates. It has an R10 insulation rating and a lifetime guarentee. The workmen who installed ours were true professionals. We love our roof, although it has made the asphalt roofs in our neighborhood look really cheap. I will never have to replace our roofs again.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

I meant to say that I have since acquired my hurricane clips. Just a few at a time when I go in there. Not each time so as to alert anyone, but when I go buy wood, I won't buy them. If I buy cleaning supplies, then I'll get about 6 or so as not to raise suspicions. LOL There is another way to skin a cat. :D Got to get it done now before hurricane season starts.

BTW, I'll try to get pics of the house next door that had the rotten wood. The guy who did the repairs did a job I would not do or accept. :)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Ah yes. When we moved to Virginia our architect in Denver reviewed the plans for the new house and suggested we add Hurricane Hangers to the specs on the new house. They were not available in Charlottesville VA and were brought in from the coast. A couple of years later our insurance carrier required we show written proof the house had them or our insurance cost would increase.

Last year a neighbors house was up for sale and purchaser demanded a new roof. The insurance carrier at that time inspected the roof, with a rather embarrassed look on his face admitted the roof in fact did need to be replaced and the insurance paid for it. I was surprised and ask the claims inspector why? He answered he found substantial damage from a storm the prior year that he missed at that time. He then commented there were only two roofs on our block that would pass muster under current code requirements, ours and a neighbor who had just replaced the roof. Last month another neighbor called to tell me he had ordered solar panels for his roof and was refused until the roof was replaced. Once again he called is insurance company and they both agreed to replace it at their cost and that they would no longer insure him if it was not replaced. Go figure. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.