My latest Addition

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

My latest Addition

Post by fjimp »

For several months I have been looking for a a decent 10ER. Today I drove 90 miles away to look at one that the pictures looked decent although the price was way to high and the gentleman looked into my claims and called me back saying I was correct. I paid forty dollars for it complete with a scroll saw and some parts for a newer Mark V model that I will have to research. The motor is shot so will be replaced. I intend to clean and lubricate everything. Once finished I desire mounting it on a wall as a dedicated drill press. Pictures will follow later. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Jim, you "might" want to re-think that. While the ER is an AWESOME drill-press, it is an even better lathe. (Especially, when compared to the Mkv/5.) All that cast iron is the difference.

Yes, what you need is 2 ERs.

steve
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

The pics man.............................
R Hart
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

fjimp wrote:For several months I have been looking for a a decent 10ER. Today I drove 90 miles away to look at one that the pictures looked decent although the price was way to high and the gentleman looked into my claims and called me back saying I was correct. I paid forty dollars for it complete with a scroll saw and some parts for a newer Mark V model that I will have to research. The motor is shot so will be replaced. I intend to clean and lubricate everything. Once finished I desire mounting it on a wall as a dedicated drill press. Pictures will follow later. Jim
I find myself using my vertical 10ER as much for drum sanding as I do for drilling. It really helps to have the speed changer option if you can pick one up on the cheep. I haven't figured out how to tighten the belt after changing pulleys unless gravity is available to pull the motor down. The PowerPro is my choice for lathe work even though it dances all over the floor :)
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

fredsheldon wrote:I find myself using my vertical 10ER as much for drum sanding as I do for drilling. It really helps to have the speed changer option if you can pick one up on the cheep. I haven't figured out how to tighten the belt after changing pulleys unless gravity is available to pull the motor down. The PowerPro is my choice for lathe work even though it dances all over the floor :)
I too use my dedicated "drill press" 10ER for drum sanding frequently. Although, I only recently got a real drum sanding attachment (I had previously been wrapping a piece of sandpaper around a drill bit). I also use it with a wire brush attachment probably as much as I do to drill.

Any time you change the pulleys on the 10ER, you should adjust the height (distance to headstock) of the motor to tighten or loosen the belts as needed. That's true with and without the speed changer. It can be a pain, but will give better results.

For speed changer specifics, refer to this page: http://www.mkctools.com/speed%20changer%20setup.htm
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I generally use a Jet lathe for turning. It is super quiet and does not have the vibration issues of the Mark V. If ever I desire turning something large I will use my power pro. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

I stand corrected.

BUT, $40 for a pretty dang good drill-press?

SCORE!!

(Do me a favor, if you feel the urge to cut the way tubes, get a MkV set to cut up.)

steve
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

fjimp wrote:For several months I have been looking for a a decent 10ER. Today I drove 90 miles away to look at one that the pictures looked decent although the price was way to high and the gentleman looked into my claims and called me back saying I was correct. I paid forty dollars for it complete with a scroll saw and some parts for a newer Mark V model that I will have to research. The motor is shot so will be replaced. I intend to clean and lubricate everything. Once finished I desire mounting it on a wall as a dedicated drill press. Pictures will follow later. Jim
Glad you found one at a decent price. Before I bought my first Mark V, I was looking for a 10ER, but around here in Texas everyone wants $200 or more and mist of them or in pretty poor condition like they have been sitting in the rain and the Texas sun. Good luck on your restore, will keep checking in to see your progress.

Todd
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

fjimp wrote:I paid forty dollars for it complete with a scroll saw and some parts for a newer Mark V model that I will have to research.
By "scroll saw" do you mean the A-34 jigsaw?

I assume that is what you mean, but then the "parts for a newer Mark V" make me wonder...
fjimp wrote:The motor is shot so will be replaced.
Are you certain the motor is shot to the point of needing replacement? I'm no expert, but I recall stories where people thought their motor was shot, but was brought back to life. Maybe it just needs a new capacitor? Or a wire is loose inside? Or bearings are froze up?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

heathicus wrote:By "scroll saw" do you mean the A-34 jigsaw?

I assume that is what you mean, but then the "parts for a newer Mark V" make me wonder...

Are you certain the motor is shot to the point of needing replacement? I'm no expert, but I recall stories where people thought their motor was shot, but was brought back to life. Maybe it just needs a new capacitor? Or a wire is loose inside? Or bearings are froze up?
Indeed! Check out MickyD's 10ER restore!!!! I did not have the faith he had at first!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange