SS sash and cutter kit (555013)

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

marvkrupp
Bronze Member

SS sash and cutter kit (555013)

Post by marvkrupp »

JUST joined...sorry if this is in archives: Have had the kit described in title line for years. Just went to use it for first time..and it has the WRONG lock washer and retaining nut (a special shape). Can't do the sash rail end coping operation with it.

Anyone know where to get the correct nut (part number 513960)?

Thanks...marv krupp...real new guy...
nutball
Gold Member

Post by nutball »

Welcome!

Check the main SS website, http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/, and search for the part number to get:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... =Find+Item

You could also contact SS Customer Service for more information on the replacement part.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have no idea what this looks like but as was mentioned it seems the nut can be purchased.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... =Find+Item

$4.31 and in stock.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

marvkrupp wrote:JUST joined...sorry if this is in archives: Have had the kit described in title line for years. Just went to use it for first time..and it has the WRONG lock washer and retaining nut (a special shape). Can't do the sash rail end coping operation with it.

Hi, marvfrupp! Welcome to the Forum! I have also had one of those sets for years. Haven't seen them in the catalogs for over a year now (I think). Anyway, the normal washer is a flat washer with an internal cog that fits into the shaper shaft. The nut is a standard thing. The same nut and washer fits my shaper arbor and my dado arbor. I don't see anything special about the nut. You can buy a replacement at a local store, if you don't want to get a SS part. I think the only purpose for the internal cog in the washer is to prevent rotating of the cutters as the nut is tightened.

The sash and cutter kit is, as you know, a very versatile set. It will allow you to make up stiles and rails for entry doors as well as 3/4" doors/panels. The pieces can be a little tricky to set up. Just make sure the individual cutters are offset.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

marvkrupp wrote:JUST joined...sorry if this is in archives: Have had the kit described in title line for years. Just went to use it for first time..and it has the WRONG lock washer and retaining nut (a special shape). Can't do the sash rail end coping operation with it.

Hi, marvfrupp! Welcome to the Forum! No, don't believe we have ever talked about this before.

I have also had one of those sets for years. Haven't seen them in the catalogs for over a year now (I think). Anyway, the normal washer is a flat washer with an internal cog that fits into the shaper shaft. The nut is a standard thing. The same nut and washer fits my shaper arbor and my dado arbor. I don't see anything special about the nut. You can buy a replacement at a local store, if you don't want to get a SS part. I think the only purpose for the internal cog in the washer is to prevent rotating of the cutters as the nut is tightened.

The sash and cutter kit is, as you know, a very versatile set. It will allow you to make up stiles and rails for entry doors as well as 3/4" doors/panels. The pieces can be a little tricky to set up. Just make sure the individual cutters are offset.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA