My New Distraction

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

My New Distraction

Post by dusty »

My attention has been redirected to a new project. A challenging project to say the least.

Many years ago, more than I want to think about, we purchasing an Aristocrat Travel Trailer. We needed it so that the family could remain together while I attended an Air Force technical school is Mississippi. Housing there was limited due to the damages left by a hurricane. I was told, by the Air Force, that if I didn't have a place to live - leave the family behind. Thus the travel trailer.

That travel trailer has been setting in a field behind one of my daughters houses for many years now. It is currently a storage facility for her but it is coming home in a week or two.

My wife and I are going to attempt to put it back on the road. It is going to be a challenging DIY project, to say the least. You can only image what sort of work will need to be done. I can only image just how deep the "money pit" might be. It is, however, going to be a labor of love.

[ATTACH]21108[/ATTACH]
19' 1965 Aristocrat Landmark II

This is what we used to tow the trailer to Mississippi from Spokane, WA and then later back to Arizona after that assignment.

[ATTACH]21109[/ATTACH]
1966 Plymouth Barracuda

The Cuda is also undergoing restoration but that money pit is owned by my daughter and her husband
Attachments
TRL6 (Custom).jpg
TRL6 (Custom).jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
Cuda 1 (Custom).jpg
Cuda 1 (Custom).jpg (98.53 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wdelliott
Gold Member

your automobile

Post by wdelliott »

Dusty,
Your photos of your 1966 Plymouth brought back fond memories. My high school year was 1966 in a small town in Texas (Sherman Texas). Back then, we really appreciated cars and they were distinctive.

When that beautiful 1966 Plymouth came down the road, I remember all of us guys used to stop and stare. The fastback was so cool.

Thanks.
Wm. D. Elliott
Dallas, TX

1972 Model 500; upgraded to Model 7; bandsaw; belt sander; joiner; planer pro; power stand; OPR; Biscuit joiner; router tables
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wdelliott wrote:Dusty,
Your photos of your 1966 Plymouth brought back fond memories. My high school year was 1966 in a small town in Texas (Sherman Texas). Back then, we really appreciated cars and they were distinctive.

When that beautiful 1966 Plymouth came down the road, I remember all of us guys used to stop and stare. The fastback was so cool.

Thanks.
My mother-in-law loved this car. She was living with us, here in Tucson, at the time. We had just purchased an International Travel All to handle our family car and towing needs so we sold her the Barracuda. Yes, we sold it to her. You would have to have known her to understand that. When she passed, title transferred to my wife. The car has been idle since then. My son-in-law has always wanted it.

But while grandma was driving the car she always enjoyed the attention that it seemed to draw. She enjoyed being the little old grandma in tennis shoes, driving the fast-back.

We traded titles. The car is now his and the trailer is ours.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Me thinks I would restore the 'Cuda before the trailer!!:)
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wa2crk wrote:Me thinks I would restore the 'Cuda before the trailer!!:)
Bill V
I don't doubt that. I understand completely. The Cuda, however, is being restored. That task is being done by by my daughter and her husband. The car is theirs now and the trailer is, once again, mine.

This may well not sound logical but that is the way it has worked out and for us it is logical. Long story, has nothing to do with wood working just the way us old people think.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I don't doubt that. I understand completely. The Cuda, however, is being restored. That task is being done by by my daughter and her husband. The car is theirs now and the trailer is, once again, mine.

This may well not sound logical but that is the way it has worked out and for us it is logical. Long story, has nothing to do with wood working just the way us old people think.
Makes perfect sense to me.:cool:

Besides your crocks will not pass for tennis shoes.:D;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]Makes perfect sense to me.:cool:

Besides your crocks will not pass for tennis shoes.:D]

My crocks work perfectly fine except when I am running foot races and when I drop something on my toes. I very seldom run foot races and I try real hard not to drop things on my toes; therefore, the crocks are great (except that they are about worn out).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:My crocks work perfectly fine except when I am running foot races and when I drop something on my toes. I very seldom run foot races and I try real hard not to drop things on my toes](except that they are about worn out)[/SIZE].
I said nothing re their usefullness or comfort level (I myself have a bad habit of being barefoot in de shop[but not when lifting heavy objects or operating debris creating machinery])etc.!:D De feet are not worn out yet!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

[
This is what we used to tow the trailer to Mississippi from Spokane, WA and then later back to Arizona after that assignment.

[ATTACH]21109[/ATTACH]
1966 Plymouth Barracuda

The Cuda is also undergoing restoration but that money pit is owned by my daughter and her husband[/quote]

That is a clean cuda sir, nice. :D
R Hart
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mrhart wrote:[

[ATTACH]21109[/ATTACH]
1966 Plymouth Barracuda

The Cuda is also undergoing restoration but that money pit is owned by my daughter and her husband

That is a clean cuda sir, nice. :D[/quote]

There is some rust in the rocker panels but most of it is solid. We had it undercoated when it was new and I think that helped a lot. It resided in Arizona most of its life though it spend one hot, wet, muggy year in Biloxi, Mississippi.

Now that I have activated the brain, I realize that this was not smart at all, but we pulled the Aristrocrat from Spokane to Biloxi and then from Biloxi to Tucson with this car.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty