Lathe work

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

patharris
Bronze Member

Lathe work

Post by patharris »

I need to purschase a pen mandrel for my Shopsmith and did not see it listed in the Shopsmith catalog. I would like the one that can accomodate the various size bushings rather than just the 7mm. Also, I am looking to purschase and alumiuum cone drive center and not sure were to buy one.
Pat
bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

solicitr
Gold Member

Post by solicitr »

The Woodcraft mandrel also worked fine for me- it's sold as either 1 Morse or 2 Morse, but the taper plug simply unscrews so the shaft can be used with a Jacobs chuck. (As I understand it, bushing ID/ mandrel diameter is standard, and is certainly much smaller than the tube/drill diameter).
Bill
Richmond, Virginia
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Nope- there are "A" and "B" shafts. However, the PSI rod is threaded into 5/8" connector and they can be exchanged back and forth. Not long ago I bought, shall we say back-ups? I have three PSI units but my two sizes of rods come from Lee Valley. Woodcraft may have the shafts -but - I have heard that all of their bushings are made to fit their rod. Don't know if that is true.
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
patharris
Bronze Member

Post by patharris »

Thanksgusy for your help. It appears that the mandrel from Pennstate comes withthe 5/8' shaft fixture so that I don't have to use a Jacobs chuck. Or Atleast I hope so. Is there also an adaptor to house a#2Morse taper with drive center? I have the Standard drive center with the cleats and spur, but would like to avoid the cleats to avoid some catch problems.
Thanks again,
Pat Harris
Lexington, SC
Pat
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

patharris wrote:Thanksgusy for your help. It appears that the mandrel from Penn State comes with the 5/8' shaft fixture so that I don't have to use a Jacobs chuck. Or At least I hope so. Is there also an adapter to house a#2Morse taper with drive center? I have the Standard drive center with the cleats and spur, but would like to avoid the cleats to avoid some catch problems.
Thanks again,
Pat Harris
Lexington, SC

I have never seen a 5/8" Female to #2 Morse Female adapter and I have looked. I assume the Penn State adapter you purchased is the PKM-CL ithas a 5/8" hole with setscrew on one end and a rod or hole for the rod on the other. It mounts directly on the quill shaft.

The Shopsmith drive center has a 5/8" hole on one end and a setscrew that holds it on the shaft. Personally I never use it, I have other ways to hold work on the drive side.

I don't understand what catch problem you are trying to avoid.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC