The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jpdalton
Gold Member

Re: The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Post by jpdalton »

sailseahawk wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:27 am Could you please post a pick of the add a tool bracket?
See the bottom of this post for details.
viewtopic.php?p=313119#p313119
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
drumone
Bronze Member

Post by drumone »

I picked up a Yuba Sawsmith RAS last year. I didn't realize it at the time, but it's missing a number of parts that I have to have to make it functional/operational. A lot of things from early on in this thread are no longer available. Any help in finding replacements is greatly appreciated. Please help!!!

Here's a list of what I am looking for (Ref. No, Part No., Description):

Mandatory - Motor-Carriage Assembly
53 - 4864 - Nut-Spindle, L.H. # (Was there a definite determination on a replacement part?)
87 - 27032 - 1-1/4" Arbor-Saw
13 - 2355 - Washer

Needed but not required - Motor-Carriage Assembly
54 - 4868 - Wrench-Arbor
98 - 700040 - Anti-Kickback Assembly
Rubber boot that covers the unused side of the arbor shaft

Mandatory - Base, Column, Arm and Table
23 - 4694 - Wire-Coiled
24 - 4698 - Wire-Main, with Plug
76 - 700048 - Lock Assembly-With Key (My key is stuck in the on position and won't turn. The key is also partially broken.)

Needed but not required - Base, Column, Arm and Table
80 - 700057 - Switch Assembly (I'm missing the plastic "Start" button, but the switch itself works.)

I'm also curious if anyone knows whether or not a more recent (or past) SHOPsmith arbor w/ the set screw will work with the old RAS? Thanks for your thoughts and input!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

drumone,

First off welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

I have not owned a Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw but do know some things about them. Other who do have firsthand knowledge may add their posts too. The Sawsmith RAS was made in the late 1950's to the early 1960's. Parts are hard to find and must be found on the used market. You may want to look for substitutes for the wires (power cords) as after this long they tend to have brittle coverings and dangerous to use, if they can be found. The Spindle Nut is needed if you use standard 5/8" Arbor Hole Saw Blades but not for the 1-1/4" Arbor Hole Shopsmith Saw Blades which use the Arbors shown below. These arbors have a set screw to lock them to the motor shaft. There were 3 versions of the 1-1/4" Arbors with the last two differing only by the black protective coating being used on the last one which began about 1964 and the change in the part number.

_
27032 and 505512 labeled.jpg
27032 and 505512 labeled.jpg (159.16 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
I hope you have an Owner's Manual and Parts List for your Sawsmith RAS. The PDF copies of the Owner's Manual I have are too large to post here but some can be found in the original post of this thread. Below are 2 PDFs of the Parts lists if you need them. The first is a Yuba one and the second is a Magna American one with the later part numbers. Both are in the original post of this thread. Part numbers for all Magna/Shopsmith tools and accessories changed in 1964 so it can be helpful to have both sets of the part numbers for reference.

Good luck and I hope you are able to find or replace the parts you need to make it a great running woodworking tool again.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

drumone wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:35 am I picked up a Yuba Sawsmith RAS last year. I didn't realize it at the time, but it's missing a number of parts that I have to have to make it functional/operational.
The left hand arbor nut is often missing from these. You can use other Shopsmith arbors on the spindle even though they are threaded. Someone has suggested filling in the threads on the spindle with a copper wire to use a standard arbor.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
drumone
Bronze Member

Post by drumone »

Thanks chapmanruss! I already had the spare parts list for Yuba, as it came with the saw. It never occurred to me to check the Magna lists. I just assumed they were different. That idea might help quite a bit... if I'm lucky. :)