The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG40504 wrote:That right shaft 'support' bracket may be the source of 'binding'.

BTW the key is the same as my Mark VII key. Chigago Lock Co. double bit YPP. I be assuming they are all keyed alike.

P.S. the right side rear may provide additional 'binding' clues.
OK, here's a funny side story, concerning "keyed alike."

When I was in the Army in the 80's, we had Dodge PowerWagon based trucks. Again, all had the same key. Not just the same blank, but the same tooth profile.

We were training, doing our yearly gas mask familiarization, at the "gas chamber." Someone had parked their truck too close to the gas chamber, and the truck was filling up with tear gas. Not deadly, but not fun, either. Guy had misplaced his key, and was not aware of the "alike" thing. I said, "here, use mine." "It won't work." "Yes it will!"

He put his mask on, used my key, and got his truck out of the line of fire.

Most soldiers didn't know about that little feature, but I had friends in the motor pool.

Sorry for the thread-jack!:D

steve
apexsunguitars
Gold Member

Post by apexsunguitars »

If you are in CA, there's a pretty clean sawsmith on Feebay right now!
1991 Mark V / 510 with ODS Kit
1983 Mark V / 500 Series w/ 11" bandsaw, 20" Scrollsaw (Currently tearing the SS down for a complete and thorough cleaning and tuning)
1956 Mark V / 500 PartsSmith (DOA) w/ Magna Jointer and Bandsaw
Just Don
Bronze Member

Post by Just Don »

My dad had Sawsmith arm saw. It hasn't been used for 30 plus year. I'M trying to fix it up but we don't know what happened to the table. Can someone tell me dimensions and any thing you can think about the table.
I didn't do a search because I didn't know what to search for :)

I need to rewire and wires going into the motor all the insulation has falling off the wires.

Thanks every one.

Don
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

A lot of great info
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Just Don wrote:My dad had Sawsmith arm saw. It hasn't been used for 30 plus year. I'M trying to fix it up but we don't know what happened to the table. Can someone tell me dimensions and any thing you can think about the table.
I didn't do a search because I didn't know what to search for :)

I need to rewire and wires going into the motor all the insulation has falling off the wires.

Thanks every one.

Don
Table size 18x36x1".
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Just Don
Bronze Member

Post by Just Don »

rpd wrote:Table size 18x36x1".
Ron thanks for your help.
Is there any thing else you'd suggest on making one?

Thanks for your help.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Just Don wrote:Ron thanks for your help.
Is there any thing else you'd suggest on making one?

Thanks for your help.

I don't actually own one, I found the dimensions listed in this sales brochure: Saw Smith Radial Arm Saw Brochure, page 8.
I am sure that other members with first hand experience will help you, but they may be busy with your (US) Thanksgiving

if you could post pictures of your SawSmith (we like pictures :)) it will help to see how much is missing.

If you haven't already, check out all the documentation that Heath lists links to in the first post of this thread.

Best wishes.
Ron
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
heathicus
Platinum Member

Re: The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Post by heathicus »

If you have the table hardware and just need a new surface, you can make it any size you want (within reason, of course).
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Re: The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Post by stephen_a._draper »

I bought a Magna Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw built in 1961-62 time frame and every thing works fine. It came with all the original manuals and base cabinet. I would like to replace the belt. Can someone tell me what size to buy? I am also looking for the original push button start/stop switch and lock assembly. The originals were replaced with a wall switch.
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Re: SawSmith RAS

Post by stephen_a._draper »

johnmccrossen wrote:heathicus,

One thing I need and have never been able to find is a replacement for the metal indicator strip for the bevel guage on the yoke. While doing your restore, if you (or anyone else) happens to run across a source for something like that, a note would be appreciated. Again thanks for your postings. John McCrossen
Sawsmith Service Bulletin #75 says the bevel scale is part #503263. Shopsmith currently has this in stock at a price of 80 cents.