The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Jkazak54
Bronze Member

Re: The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Post by Jkazak54 »

Do you still have the saw? I would definitely be interested in getting it even though I am in Texas. Where there is a will, there is a way.
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

Just whose posting are you responding to?
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

Jkazak54 wrote:Do you still have the saw? I would definitely be interested in getting it even though I am in Texas. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Just whose posting are you responding to?
Jkazak54
Bronze Member

Post by Jkazak54 »

Oops. Reply was to Kidsmoke in the Indianapolis area.
henry1088
Bronze Member

Post by henry1088 »

I own a junk removal company in the Raleigh area and stumbled upon this saw last year. Since I like to dabble in woodwork I figured I would keep the saw. Last night I finally decided to look things over.

The original coil wire was almost completely dry and at some point someone spliced it (backwards). Some of the connections were so corroded that they fell apart.

Then I stumbled on this page. I'm saddened to see that I may not be able to find many replacement parts for the saw. Fortunately, I found a spare belt in the cabinet.

None of the accessories are with the saw. Is it possible that some of the accessories on the shopsmith site will fit this saw (moulding head, disk and drum sander)?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

henry1088 wrote:I own a junk removal company in the Raleigh area and stumbled upon this saw last year. Since I like to dabble in woodwork I figured I would keep the saw. Last night I finally decided to look things over.

The original coil wire was almost completely dry and at some point someone spliced it (backwards). Some of the connections were so corroded that they fell apart.

Then I stumbled on this page. I'm saddened to see that I may not be able to find many replacement parts for the saw. Fortunately, I found a spare belt in the cabinet.

None of the accessories are with the saw. Is it possible that some of the accessories on the shopsmith site will fit this saw (moulding head, disk and drum sander)?
YEP!
accessories p5.jpg
accessories p5.jpg (189.19 KiB) Viewed 12705 times
Finding the unique sawsmith stuff will be a challenge.

Unfortunately RAS became non-PC and have been assigned to the 'junk dealers'.(pun intended ;) :) )

Good Luck!!!

P.S. The sawsmith used a 9" sanding disc.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
henry1088
Bronze Member

Post by henry1088 »

Even more fun. The model number listed on the motor isn't found anywhere on the internet. I'd hate to see what a company is going to charge me to refurbish this one.

Oh, I found the drill chuck in the cabinet. I now have one accessory.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sure the motor needs motor shop expertise?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
henry1088
Bronze Member

Post by henry1088 »

All the wires going to were corroded and one of the wires going to the motor is worn. The bearings are also rough. I doubt it needs a rewind but I'd at least like it tested.
Dave H. (CO)
Gold Member

Post by Dave H. (CO) »

I just looked at a gold colored Sawsmith in the Denver Colorado area. I don't know how much the motor is worth to you, but it seemed to run smoothly and ran up through the speeds fine. The owner wants $100 for it. If you're interested let me know and I'll give you more info.