Quill feed handle

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Quill feed handle

Post by cincinnati »

Is the plastic end on the quill feed handle fixed of should it spin?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

cincinnati wrote:Is the plastic end on the quill feed handle fixed of should it spin?
I have only ever owned one Mark V, and on it, the plastic end is definitely fixed on the quill feed handle. I can never seem to keep my handle screwed in tight though; it seems that every time I grab it I have to tighten it.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

The knob on my quill feed handle is tight, if it were loose then you couldn't tighten or loosen it in the hub.

To keep the handle from vibrating loose in the hub I use a small amount of Vibra-Tite on the threads. It doesn't solve the problem, just slows it down. If I put too much Vibra-Tite on the threads then it becomes very difficult to turn in the hub when I want to tighten or loosen it.
Jim in Tucson
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

james.miller wrote:The knob on my quill feed handle is tight, if it were loose then you couldn't tighten or loosen it in the hub.

To keep the handle from vibrating loose in the hub I use a small amount of Vibra-Tite on the threads. It doesn't solve the problem, just slows it down. If I put too much Vibra-Tite on the threads then it becomes very difficult to turn in the hub when I want to tighten or loosen it.
Thanks for the tip, Jim.:)
Tim

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I've had two now that the knob comes lose.
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Anyone here use the accessory 3 spoke? Comments?mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
dusty
Platinum Member

Quill feed handle

Post by dusty »

Yes, I have one. I have had it for many years and it hardly ever leaves the hook on the tool board where I store it.

The only time I am inclined to use it is when I am setup to do a lot of work on the drill press. Otherwise I use the standard handle.

I don't know if it was ever intended for anything other than drill press operation but I won't. I find that it is in the way.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I have one and really like it, by 1 handle is in a drawer.

I use it for the Lathe as well.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I have one and like Dusty it hangs on the wall most of the time. I does seem to be in the way when I am configured in table saw mode. Maybe I am missing something in the way it should be mounted. I just can't seem to lower my main table far enough with it mounted unless I remove the one handle that is in the upper most position.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I have one and I like it a lot.....for the drill press. I remove it and use the single for all other operations. I really do not like the single for the drill press.
Tim