Serial number lookup

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Serial number lookup

Post by JPG »

Good guess!
my 377xxx has 1 1/8hp motor and poly-v drive.

The ventplate will reveal the motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
CGPhotography
Bronze Member

Post by CGPhotography »

My Shopsmith is grey model 10E with a number 8917 what year would that make it?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

CGPhotography,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. There are no records of when Model 10's were made by month or even year like there is for the Mark 5/V's. That being said we do know a number of things that can help us know around when a Model 10E or 10ER was made. Serial Number 8917 was likely made near the beginning of 1948 unless there is an "E" prefix to the serial number. Serial Number E-8917 would have been made closer to the middle of 1948. S/N 8917 would have been made in the Western Plant while E-8917 would have been made in the Eastern Plant. The picture below is Model 10E S/N 8865 I restored and should look very similar to yours. It has all original parts and accessories plus a couple extras (Jigsaw and Jointer/Shaper Fence) it did not come with as shipped from the factory. If yours has different parts, it may have some upgrades. Benches were extra too.

_
10E 8865 r.jpg
10E 8865 r.jpg (116.22 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Recycler
Bronze Member

Post by Recycler »

Hello all
Tried to look up serial on my unit not finding it
Attached find plate on unit

Trying find controller assembly as when i bought it was already removed.
Attachments
20230124_073137.jpg
20230124_073137.jpg (149.05 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Recycler,

What you show in the picture is a "clone" tool not a Shopsmith. It has a manufacture date which substitutes for a serial number. Since the end of 1987 Shopsmith has also used a "Date Code" instead of a serial number.

You said,
Trying find controller assembly as when i bought it was already removed.
Do you mean the Speed Controller which is the dial on the front of the Headstock which adjusts the speed? I don't know if you can substitute an OEM Shopsmith one to use on a Taiwan made clone.

In the 1980's there were a number of these cheap clone tools made off the design of the Shopsmith Tool. Names included Woodmaster, Total Shop, Central Machinery and others. Although they look a lot like a Shopsmith Mark V there are differences, especially in quality.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Recycler
Bronze Member

Post by Recycler »

Thank you for reply Russ
I kinda figure that. I bought from a gentleman for 75.00 came with table attachment and lathe tools chuck.
After reading further into some of posts part interchange.got some of this site maybe ill try and rig something up .as right now has only one speed slow.

Love this forum lots of info.
Great Job people
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

These come up for sale once in a while. Many times they are advertised incorrectly as a Shopsmith. Right now there is one for sale near Seattle with the ad heading "Woodmaster Multi Tool (Shopsmith Clone)" and in this case the seller is at least titling it correctly. It is for sale at $250.00 but I wouldn't pay $2.50 for it. If you like the idea of having this type of tool I suggest watching the ads in your area for a real Shopsmith Mark V. Patience can get you one for a good deal in price, good condition and completeness. All things to consider when looking for a Shopsmith tool. If you find one you are interested in and have any questions, just ask.
Russ

Mark V 520