Serial number lookup

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

I've been wondering about that too, Doc. I found a "Shopsmith Authorized Service Repair Manual" that somebody left out by the water cooler. (Page 12,645 was dog-eared. I suppose that's as far as the previous owner got.) I looked up the serial numbers thinking that if any publication has the answer, it's gotta be this one. But, no, this too has a big black hole between 1961 and 1978. I'll do a little sleuthing and see if I can't get you an answer.

With all good wishes,
PTWFE
Gold Member

Post by PTWFE »

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts. I have one I picked up last spring with a 4 digit serial number and a call to SS Customer Service confirmed it was among the first month's production when Shopsmith, Inc started up.

I seem to remember reading somewhere in one of the old magazines from the 70's about serial numbers but now I can't find it again.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

From what I have pieced together and maybe other can help out here with corrections or more input....
In 1947 Magna Engineering came out with the shopsmith.

At some point (in the 50's) a company called Yuba Power Products acquired Magna Engineering.

Yuba then sold it to a group of employees who created the Magna American Corp. They moved sometime around 1964. That company ended on 31 Dec 1966.

The new company Shopsmith started on Jan 13 1972....... (I've also read it was in March).

OK from this we should not expect to see any infomation for the years of 1967 through 1971 as no shopsmiths were being made. In fact none were made until 1973 if we read a bit more on the company history page.

From the shopsmith web pages we see 1973 - 1978 with serial numbers 1001 to 20359 (which from the other table is March of 1978)

My guess is that is the time when shopsmith was in Troy and then moved to Dayton... this may have something to do with the lack of data... "...hey did you see the box with the serial number information?"

So now you know what I know or at least what I think I know...

Ed
PTWFE
Gold Member

Post by PTWFE »

Wonder why that 1973 - 1978 data isn't part of the chart at the "How Old Is It" link? But the range is part of the serial number look up link. Oh well, thanks for the reminder to check that other listing of serial number ranges. I'd forgotten about that one.
drlove
Bronze Member

Post by drlove »

I'm curious if there is any information on serial numbers prior to April 1954. I have a greenie with a sn of 262675. I inherited it after my father-in-law passed away in 1991. I found a replacement manual that had the serial number and a date of March 1954 written on it probably by my father-in-law. This seems to fit with the serial number sequence that begins in April 1954 with a sn of 263051. Does anybody know about when in 1953 and at about what serial number the Mark V was first manufactured? Is at least part of the reason Shopsmith changed the numbering scheme in 1987 to keep from duplicating the older ones? Did the 10E and 10ER get assigned serial numbers and what was their range?

Thanks,

David Love
Shawnee, KS
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

No problem with Mark V serial number look-up, but where do I find the SPT serial number look-up?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
papahammer8
Gold Member

spt's serial #'s

Post by papahammer8 »

tim go to ss owners web site look under product details and manuals
jim bandy lafayette alabama 79 model 500 /80 model 500/94model 510 mini/ planer/dc3300/bandsaw/jointer/ lathe duplicator/ router table with a porter cablerouter.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Got it! Thanks papahammer8. Here is the link for anyone else looking: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/index.htm#product2
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JKRodd
Bronze Member

Re: Serial number lookup

Post by JKRodd »

My S/N is SS-61694
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Serial number lookup

Post by chapmanruss »

JKRodd,
I do not know if there is a question here but S/N SS-61694 would be a Mark V from June of 1980.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.