Shopsmith tools are too expenisve?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Shopsmith tools are too expenisve?

Post by cincinnati »

I was looking at a Christmas 1989 catalog and noticed The Shopsmith belt sander is on sale now for the same price listed in the 1989 catalog. $319.
I have to admit over the last 10 years I have kinda given up on Shopsmith because of the price of tools. But just recently started to take another look. I have to say with the price of everything going up. The price of Shopsmith tools seem to be in line with all other tools on the market. Not as "expensive" as I thought. Cheap? No! But worth the asking price. I am starting to form a list of things I will like to purchase when the right time comes.

My point in all of this is I think Shopsmith is on the right track with the Sawdust videos. Keep up the good work. And I hope to send a little support $$$ your way soon.
guvnuh4
Gold Member

Post by guvnuh4 »

Interesting that you should say that. I was just going through all of the old paperwork that came with my estate sale purchased SS (this guy was great, kept EVERYTHING!). In the packet there was an accessory tool catalog from 1976, and it had listed the price for the bandsaw was (from memory since it's at home and I'm at work) $249 with the price today of $499.99. The bandsaw was the only thing that I was genuinely curious about since I just got one off of ebay for a little under $200 ($250 with shipping) and I was curious what the price was on it 7 years before I was born...
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith tools are too expensive

Post by dusty »

unless you factor in 1) maintainability, 2) quality and 3) availability of support.

The very fact that you are talking about utilizing machines that are fifteen to twenty to thirty years or more old speaks for Shopsmith.

The original quality is still there (or there wouldn't be a machine to talk about) and if it hasn't been cared for you can still buy parts to return it to serviceability if not to restore it.

Do your own analysis. Pick the old machine that you'd like to put up against a Shopsmith - and go try to locate and/or purchase parts for a major rebuild.

Good Luck
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

For me, the consistent quality of all of the SS products makes them a bargain, even at today's prices. Basic US worker and market effort shows in everything.I bought a two bearing quill before I even checked my runout on the single bearing 1983 SS. It checks out at .0015, so the new unit awaits actual need. Also, as much as possible, the upgrades, redesigned DC parts are easy to retro-fit.

In fact, dust collection is really the only frustrating weakness. With the miter express I installed, I am very comfortable with table size-- and ponder this. Incra says "accurate" to most folks. And SS with Incra stays precise. At this point I have all SPT units except the planer, and an ex-stepson is bringing me a nice Dewalt planer and I have a Performax 10-20 Drum Sander. Add in the Jet Mini Lathe with extension bed, a fully equipped Atlas 618 and I am fairly well self sufficient. Right now the only awkward issue is that I have not built a storage table/rack for the SPT's so they are lying around ready for me to trip over them. SS still delivers extraordinary value and quality.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

When I was told at a fair that it was "ok" I could have a SS I was thrilled. It replaced an expensive, but lower end Craftman drill press, a contractors table saw, a small B&D band saw, and gave a a lathe. I'd been droolling over the SS for years, but until retirement, it was an unneed expense. Now it keeps me out of the wife's kitchen, so it was worth the cost. The point being, each of the functions of my SS exceeds the ability of the tool it replaced. Even with setup time, it takes less time to work on a project, since cuts are cleaner, work is squarer, and because of setup, I plan out my work more efficently. For me, it was and is worth the investment. No regrets.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
solicitr
Gold Member

Post by solicitr »

And SS, bless them, still continues to provide parts even for the original Greenies: any Mark V and SPT ever built, even by Magna, continues to be underpinned by the company- and even though they must realize that the durability of their old products eats into sales of new ones.

On the other hand: while I couldn't manage the price of a new Mark V and therefore bought used, that purchase in turn generated the sale of a 520 upgrade and many other parts.

This used to be the American Way. My brother is still using the Craftsman 100 tablesaw our father bought the year I was born: once upon a time American stuff was built to *last.* SS has never stopped doing it.
Bill
Richmond, Virginia
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I was using my Shopsmith tonight building the toy train that is often seen in Nick's videos. I just had to stop for a moment and think what Joy I have using the Shopsmith. Many tools have come and gone in my shop but the Mark V never fails.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Pre ShopSmith:

Burned up motors on several bench-top tools. Replaced same. Repeat.:mad:

After ShopSmith:

Never a major problem, and if there ever is, replacement parts and procedures are available.:D

Which has a higher cost over a period of years? IMHO, and we are only addressing the question of expensive here, if you only use your equipment infrequently, the SS; if you use your equipment occasionally, probably a wash; if you use your equipment regularly, the SS beats the competition hands down.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Randy
Gold Member

Post by Randy »

Every day on my way to work I purchase an extra large coffee. Now I have owned a SS since 1989, so in that same time frame alone I have spent much-much more on that single cup of coffee each day. :o (hey do the math and you'll be surprise :eek: )

Everything is relative and need to be put into prospective. Coffee= small purchase many times over.....SS= large purchase once only! :)

Now here we are 19 years later, SS is still going great, acutally like new, but yet I am still paying for coffee!
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Randy:

You need to get a Shopsmith coffee mug! I think they still have them available.