Mortising hold-down upgrade

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

solicitr
Gold Member

Mortising hold-down upgrade

Post by solicitr »

The old-style mortising hold-down that came with my 500 doesn't work with the new 520 fence. However, as near as I can tell the new version is just the same, with a t-nut on the bottom. Is this an easy conversion? It seems to me to involve little more than drilling and tapping.
Bill
Richmond, Virginia
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

solicitr wrote:The old-style mortising hold-down that came with my 500 doesn't work with the new 520 fence. However, as near as I can tell the new version is just the same, with a t-nut on the bottom. Is this an easy conversion? It seems to me to involve little more than drilling and tapping.
Hi,

I was about to do that when I got my OPR and router table which came with the same threaded part... it is used for the top vac hose mount and blade guard on the stand along table version.

So yes it looks like you can do that but I never did really try it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

I had a friend make me a 520 post, it's not quite the same as the one SS sells but it works, the correct 520 post doesn't have the flat down one side. If you call SS they will sell you the right part.
Jim in Tucson
ricknwood
Gold Member

Hold down conversion

Post by ricknwood »

solicitr wrote:The old-style mortising hold-down that came with my 500 doesn't work with the new 520 fence. However, as near as I can tell the new version is just the same, with a t-nut on the bottom. Is this an easy conversion? It seems to me to involve little more than drilling and tapping.
Good Morning Bill, here are the part numbers that you will need to circumvent the drilling and just buy the Rod, flat washer and t-nut
Rod 514487 $7.95
Flat Washer 514490 $.72
T-nut 514491 $3.11
I hope this helps you.
Rick Davis
Traveling Academy Instructor