Incra Miter Express- Tip for Slip

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mtobey
Gold Member

Incra Miter Express- Tip for Slip

Post by mtobey »

Sorry folks, couldn't help the rhyme. I really like the way the Miter Express adds safety and stability to the single 500 table plus 7" extension. But, there was a bit more roughness than I liked as I slid the unit forward. Incra includes a set of 3/4" strips of UHMW or PTFE with PSA for application to the bottom of the sliding unit. I probably have 100 pounds of UHMW in big chunks around here. But, an 8 ounce unit of the slippery stuff proved to be more valuable than all of the rest. 3" wide roll of PSA UHMW, 1/16" thick. I think I got this from Woodcraft or Lee Valley. Anyway, I stripped off the little strips and applied the "tape" to the MDF pieces(3 in all) for the full length. Now that baby glides without a "hitch in its gitalong." I highly recommend this upgrade. I used a hard rubber veneer pressing wheel to activate the strength of the PSA. I think that roll of slippery was fairly expensive, but it is now worth its weight in ebony. I had also used it to face the fence of a router table I built 5-6 years ago and it is still going strong. Try it.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Some where back in the past I mentioned doing this to the shopsmith version (cross-cut sliding table system) and it works very well on there as well. The stuff I have came in a 9 foot roll and I think was about $12 or so at the time I got it. I'm on my second roll as it works lots of places.

I didn't do that on the express but if the little strips ever wear out or don't function like they do now I would have no problem replacing them with wider strips.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]