Made a cremation urn/box for ashes

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WmZiggy wrote: . . . Hitler was not a funny guy! That is an understatement!!!!

I always used to tell Army and Airmen that they should write their own obituary the way they like it. Why leave it to someone else? Most printed in the paper are name, date, and serial number. I used to tell them to focus on how you lived out your calling (vocatus) in life. So for woodworkers its seems very appropriate to make one's own urn. While I was making Blake's I thought I should make mine and my wife's, except the veterans cemetery here in North Dakota probably has all sorts of rules and regulations. I will have to check that out.

. . .

That reminds me of my Father's uncle. I read his obituary. In life he was a bit of a stick in the mud! All prim and proper etc.(which I thought was out of character for an indian agent). His obituary was full of he did this and he did that and was highly complimentary the whole way through.

Fortunately(?) the newspaper editor prefaced it with a comment similar to the following: "This obituary was written by the deceased prior to his demise, therefore the reader should take that fact into consideration while reading it."

The obituary was 'true to the character of the author' and the editor definitely had a sense of humor!(or maybe an overpowering urge to 'get even' for something) :D

I read it only recently after obtaining much stuff from a cousin. I laughed my derriere off! Although I did not know him well(we crossed paths only twice), I knew him well enough to see the irony and would have liked to have met that editor!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tatiana667
Bronze Member

Re: Made a cremation urn/box for ashes

Post by tatiana667 »

WmZiggy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:36 pm This is not your usual woodworking request. My brother-in-law passed away on August 2nd and the family on my wife's side asked if I would make a box for his ashes. Blake died young at 68, taken two weeks after being diagnosed with cancer. A Vietnam Vet (Army medic) I can only wonder if exposure to Agent Orange was the source of his cancer. He wouldn't go to doctors or visit the VA, and had a mistrust of institutions in general, all legacies of Nam, but he served his country honorably at a difficult time. I hope I served him as well in a final resting place.

I chose Spruce that I had laying around in the shop and settled on 6.5 x 6.5 x 10 inches which created over 300 cubic inches, a size recommended by an undertaker friend. I used a 1/2" shank 45 deg lock miter bit on the sides and a floating panel in the base. In the second pic off to the left, you can see my prototype with the floating bottom. I was going to use a sliding lid and the sides were plain miters without the interlocking ledge. I didn't like it, made adjustments, and started over. The top is routed with an ogee edge and fitted with a base that is friction fit to the inside of the container. My wife wood-burned a chess figure and cross on the face to create a front to the box (chess was his favorite game) and we fitted a brass plaque on the lid. I finsihed the box or urn with several coats of poly. Here are a few shots:
What a beudifull Piece