Slurp Spiders

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Slurp Spiders

Post by dusty »

Do Slurp Spiders ever take a break?:confused:

If they are harmless, as stated in a previous thread, why bother displaying the fact that they are even there? It just distorts the number of guests that are viewing the site.:confused:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:Do Slurp Spiders ever take a break?:confused:

If they are harmless, as stated in a previous thread, why bother displaying the fact that they are even there? It just distorts the number of guests that are viewing the site.:confused:
Hi Dusty,
When admin first changed the settings that revealed to us the spiders, he commented that they were always there, they just showed up as guests. I believe that we can either see them as they are, or as guests. Either way they will "distort" the number of guests. Am I wrong?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

what is a slurp spider?
dusty
Platinum Member

What is a Slurp Spider

Post by dusty »

Best answered by others who know more than I about the subject:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ight=slurp
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Thanks for the link, Dusty. I am more informed now on these critters. I just can't get the image out of my head of a spider sitting in front of a computer sucking down a Big Gulp soda.

Tony
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

a1gutterman wrote:Hi Dusty,
When admin first changed the settings that revealed to us the spiders, he commented that they were always there, they just showed up as guests. I believe that we can either see them as they are, or as guests. Either way they will "distort" the number of guests. Am I wrong?
How can slurp spiders distort anything? Yes, they show up as guests. In fact, they are! The spider bots are reading the posts and transferring some of them to other sites. Is that bad? Not unless something is put into a post that the writer may regret, (phone numbers or other personal stuff) or something (information) that is really wrong! There is no difference between a real person, viewing the Forum and a bot (spider) viewing the Forum. Both are really guests.

However, there is one difference I can imagine! The real person can relay this information to others, but distort it during the process. The Spider will always relay the information accurately!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Unless you look at the number of guests (without knowing how many are slurp spiders) and conclude that the number of Shopsmith users online has increased significantly.

Without that bit of info, one might conclude an increase in participating users when in fact it is an increase in slurp spiders - thus distorted data.

Yes, before anyone jumps on that statement - the real problem, one could argue, would be that the data collected was misused. The analysis is bad not the data.

The original question in this thread was "do slurp spiders ever take a break".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:Unless you look at the number of guests (without knowing how many are slurp spiders) and conclude that the number of Shopsmith users online has increased significantly.

Without that bit of info, one might conclude an increase in participating users when in fact it is an increase in slurp spiders - thus distorted data.
I agree, Dusty! Anyone, including yours truly, coming to conclusions (assumptions) while not having full information will often come to erroneous conclusions. The information (data) is there! The data is not distorted. Failing to view it is the error that leads to distortion!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

eldyfig wrote:Thanks for the link, Dusty. I am more informed now on these critters. I just can't get the image out of my head of a spider sitting in front of a computer sucking down a Big Gulp soda.

Tony
I like that picture Tony.:)
Tim

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hey Dusty,
It looks like Doug (admin) changed the setting: All I see today are guests - no spiders.:)

No, I was wrong, one Google spider just appeared.
Tim