Non-Toxic Finish.

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Non-Toxic Finish.

Post by beeg »

What would be a good finish to apply to a red oak cradle I'm building? I've been told in two different woodworking stores, that once any finish drys, it's non-toxic. I am shying away from using a salad bowl finish because it would have to be reapplied.
alaskanexile
Gold Member

Post by alaskanexile »

Beeg,
I make one with red oak a couple yrs ago. Used MinWax golden oak for the stain and covered that with Urathane. Was happy with the results.
Roger
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

beeg wrote:What would be a good finish to apply to a red oak cradle I'm building? I've been told in two different woodworking stores, that once any finish drys, it's non-toxic. I am shying away from using a salad bowl finish because it would have to be reapplied.
Welcome to the forum beeg,
I am no expert on finishes and no scientist to know about toxicity either, but I think that anything that might be chewed on by a baby could be ingested. I would be careful about what finish I used. A little investigation is called for. I suggest a trip to the library or a professional finish shop.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
solicitr
Gold Member

Post by solicitr »

Shellac is completely non-toxic and safe for children's toys etc. You will get *much* better results if you buy dry flake shellac and mix it yourself (premixed canned shellac contains 'preservatives' which interfere with proper curing).

If you prefer a wipe-on finish, use walnut oil, which is a drying oil like linseed or tung but is, naturally, non-toxic.
Bill
Richmond, Virginia
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

beeg,
Come to think about it, it sure looks like shellac is what is used on "store bought" kids furniture.
solicitr wrote:Shellac is completely non-toxic and safe for children's toys etc. You will get *much* better results if you buy dry flake shellac and mix it yourself (premixed canned shellac contains 'preservatives' which interfere with proper curing).

If you prefer a wipe-on finish, use walnut oil, which is a drying oil like linseed or tung but is, naturally, non-toxic.
Tim

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Shellac is what I have used on many toys that I have made, mainly because it is safe and easy to repair if it is overapplied. It is not very durable when exposed to water so I'm not sure how it would hold up to a child sucking on the top rail of a crib for any length of time.

The good part though is that it is easily repaired if it deteriorates.

Just my $0.02.

John
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

All the recient cribs I have seen use a plastic strip on the top edge where kids chew most.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

It sounds like my best bet is with the shellac. Thanks for the replys.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

paulmcohen wrote:All the recient cribs I have seen use a plastic strip on the top edge where kids chew most.
I would rather my baby was chewing the shellac rather then the plastic. According to this article]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac[/URL] , shellac is edible.
Tim