Wixey suggestion

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

forrestb
Platinum Member

Wixey suggestion

Post by forrestb »

When using the Wixey digital meter to set the table angle, I zero the Wixey on the blade since the table moves, not the blade.

To be sure of an accurate zero I recommend squaring it on the blade to the table using a known right angle gauge. If it is tilted too much your zero can be off by a tenth or two degree.

Forrest

[ATTACH]23172[/ATTACH]
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

forrestb wrote:When using the Wixey digital meter to set the table angle, I zero the Wixey on the blade since the table moves, not the blade.

To be sure of an accurate zero I recommend squaring it on the blade to the table using a known right angle gauge. If it is tilted too much your zero can be off by a tenth or two degree.

Forrest

[ATTACH]23172[/ATTACH]
Yes, this is a very good suggestion. Believe me!:o
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

Good point, fer sher. The iGaging tool has the same needs, plumb wise speaking.
And another tip, if I may, is to "reset" the gauge with each adjustment. I mean physically, like pick one corner off and set it back flat again. I guess turning it off and back on is the about the same thing, but I dunno for sure.
Thing is, a gradual change in tilt doesn't necessarily upgrade the displayed numbers right away, and when it does upgrade it may be by .2 or .3 degrees all at once. The tell-tale is in the UP or DOWN marker, which will change in real time. On mine those are wee bitty arrows, one left one right, that point to the error.
Example: Angle Block (Acc. to .05) on a level steel straightedge on the workbench. Turn on, Display = .00 which is verified with a nother level. As I lift the strtge up slowly, the arrows change but not the error number. More up, more up, then Bingo error = .20 or more than the basic sensed unit (which on this unit is .05, not the usual .1).
If I "reset" the block after the lift needed to change the arrows, I get the reading I should, .05 (tho this is not perfect). So if you imagine the pendulum inside is on a slightly sticky gimbal you can imagine the display (number) performance.

When I saw this I was a bit disappointed, but that was short-lived. I dug down and found two other inclinometers of the physical persuasion, and very close observation during the same slow-lift procedure revealed that as good as they are they do not move with the tiniest tilting. There is a bit of inertia there, and tho my eyes aren't good enough to see it exactly I suspect the same .1 or .15 degrees of lag may be true.

In explanation: the arrows change roughly in sync with an observed movement in a companion Bubble Level, but the error numbers do not.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have observed the same 'stickey'/'repeatable' issue with the Igauge which created the same consternation.

I had not paid attention to the arrows. Thanks
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

What is an Igauge?
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:What is an Igauge?
A Wixey 'clone' similar to a Beall 'clone'.

Actually Igauge is a brand. They make other measurement tools.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG40504 wrote:I have observed the same 'stickey'/'repeatable' issue with the Igauge which created the same consternation.

I had not paid attention to the arrows. Thanks
Yet another reason that I prefer high-quality analog instruments. ]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starrett-PR-122 ... 20da979617[/url] :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Yet another reason that I prefer high-quality analog instruments. ]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starrett-PR-122 ... 20da979617[/URL] :)
I gots one of those. Makes a lousy level(gravity does not affect indication)! Hard to read to .05° also!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG40504 wrote:I gots one of those. Makes a lousy level(gravity does not affect indication)! Hard to read to .05° also!:D
OK, so ya gotta turn the round part by hand until the bubble is between the two little lines. Personally, I kinda like doing that .. nice and tactile. ]http://www.starrett.com/metrology/produ ... ors/C359FZ[/url]. The claimed resolution is not quite as good as your .05°, but I'd wager that the absolute accuracy is a fair amount better. I scored one off of CL for a song. :cool:
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

Ed in Tampa wrote:What is an Igauge?
Company name on da package is "iGaging". Name of da box is "Angle Cube".(See also igaging.com)

Main special features: "Navigational" sensor made in USA; uses 9v battery for Way improved life.

Absolute Level and Relative bevel and Hold (Level, Hold, & Zero buttons). Magnets three sides. Diaplay changes per (any) side on bottom.
Resolution: 0.05D, Repeatability: 0.05D. Measures 0-90 4 sides. -- OOPS, there it is: "Precision: +-0.1D".
I have another iGaging level (got for less (20) than Cube, long story) called eLevel, which uses the same "navigational" sensor (I believe) but is more the size of a torpedo level {2.25x9.75x1"} and also has a + laser, two vials, funct.= Level, bevel, Hold, and Tilt (%). V flat machined bottom w/ magnets.
Very accurate. {BTW, this also has the 'error' direction arrows like the Cube, which also act instantaneously, unlike the Number display.}

Do I love gadgets? The eLevel is too big for many saw blade type setups, but I can set the unit on my workbench, turn on the laser (cross), line it up opposite my SS band saw, and get a quick visual check of the blade to table perpendicularity (square) from across the room, accurately. (either that or find my 6" or less square; not as much fun)

Obviously a "Must" tool for any shop!
(yeah, right)
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;