Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Post by nuhobby »

We're so proud of you !!!!
My only approach to any of what you've done was to put stripe decals on my car. It was actually very enjoyable, given that most recent cars are now denuded of any side trim.

Enjoy your trips!!!
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks, nuhobby!

Before I take any more trips, I wanted to get a depth sounder head unit installed while I waited for the new seacock. I've had the "new" transponder installed since 2009...only used once! While I was in the helm wiring chase, I decided to remove the rat's nest of wires for the tent alarm system. It looks much better without that.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Retiring Tent Model XXX’s Alarm System & Depth Sounder Install

Cheers,
Q

Before

After
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

We made the transit from Deale to Port Tobacco, MD, yesterday. 108 miles in 7 hours 45 minutes, from cast off to tie off, with two hours of idling at 6 kts through snotty Chesapeake yaya at the Patuxent River confluence. The rest of the time we were cruising at ~15.5 kts @ ~1850 RPM. This is the first big boat I've owned that felt like it was effortlessly moving us along at that pace.

I'm beat. It's been a very busy and stressful last few weeks. But now the boat's only 15 minutes away from my house, and it's floating and can fire up and go anytime...much better than slogging away in a plastic tent an hour away. (video link at the linked blog page; I'm having problems getting my videos to post properly)

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Transiting to Our Home Port!

Cheers,
Q

15.5 knot cruise

Moored at our new home port
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

roamer46 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:06 pm We made the transit from Deale to Port Tobacco, MD, yesterday. 108 miles in 7 hours 45 minutes, from cast off to tie off, with two hours of idling at 6 kts through snotty Chesapeake yaya at the Patuxent River confluence. The rest of the time we were cruising at ~15.5 kts @ ~1850 RPM. This is the first big boat I've owned that felt like it was effortlessly moving us along at that pace.

I'm beat. It's been a very busy and stressful last few weeks. But now the boat's only 15 minutes away from my house, and it's floating and can fire up and go anytime...much better than slogging away in a plastic tent an hour away. (video link at the linked blog page; I'm having problems getting my videos to post properly)

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Transiting to Our Home Port!

Cheers,
Q

15.5 knot cruise

Moored at our new home port
This is what I get when I try to view the video in your linked page.

"Privacy Badger has replaced this Rumble Video Player widget"

So there is nothing to click on to play. I can over ride it and it plays. Might be a problem with where/how you post the video and the forum software.

BTW, what a beautiful restoration! You should be very proud as I know you are!!!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Video works for me and holy cow you were really moving!!!! Looks great
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks guys!

The video works for me now, but it didn't when I posted the blog article last night. I think the universe is telling me to stick with text and photos. lol

Cheers,
Q
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

The video was amazing! TOTAL congratulations!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

roamer46 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:06 pm We made the transit from Deale to Port Tobacco, MD, yesterday. 108 miles in 7 hours 45 minutes, from cast off to tie off, with two hours of idling at 6 kts through snotty Chesapeake yaya at the Patuxent River confluence. The rest of the time we were cruising at ~15.5 kts @ ~1850 RPM. This is the first big boat I've owned that felt like it was effortlessly moving us along at that pace.
NICE!!! It's been a long time since I was on the Chesapeake...definitely brings back memories of being a kid on my uncle's 28 ft. cabin cruiser fishing and crabbing. Fun times. Enjoy it! :D
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks guys!

Things went well, but there was a problem with a diesel leak I discovered while shutting down at my new home port. It ended up being a simple fix (loose injector nut) but it's another example of what appears to be shoddy workmanship by guys other than me who touched the engines/boat. I understand maximizing profit, but have some pride...if you loosen a starter bolt or injection nut for a good reason, tighten the thing up when you're done, ferchrissakes!

Anyway, it wasn't a perfect transit to our home port, but as engine problems go for a boat that hadn't moved under its own power since the 1980s, I figure this is pretty much a quibble.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Home Port Trip Follow-up

Cheers,
Q

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Q, should I ever needed proof, beyond my own personal experience, of the truth of the old adage “If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself”, I can’t imagine more compelling evidence than your meticulously-documented Roamer restoration story.

8D3CCF3A-5454-4CAF-99FC-9818884867CB.jpeg
8D3CCF3A-5454-4CAF-99FC-9818884867CB.jpeg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

Hereby submitted for inclusion in the Gospel of DIY. :cool: