Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Post by JPG »

Yer fluke measure resistance? Measure ohms in both polarities. Should 'measure' near 0 one way and ∞ the other. If 0 and 0 it is shorted. If ∞ and ∞ it is open. (not your case since that would put 8v to the pot) Voltage drop across a conducting diode s/b near 0.7v.

I think you can measure the 'resistance' of the diode while still 'in circuit'. If shorted, it will be obvious.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks everybody! This has been a very informative discussion, and I appreciate all your input.

I snipped the anode lead on DR1 with test leads attached to the blue wire and ground. My meter immediately went from 0.000 to 3.641v. I rotated the R14 potentiometer and the needle deflected between 6 and 7. I switched the meter to diode test mode and it indicated a short.

So I ordered a few 1N1692 diodes off ebay. They appear to be obsolete NOS.

Stay tuned!
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Back to the settee, I reused some of the mahogany and Douglas fir marine plywood that was original to the boat to make the HVAC duct top, with a removable sections for maintenance. It's turning out pretty well.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Remaking the Salon Settee III

Cheers,
Q

Before

After
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

After cutting all of the major panels for the built-in salon settee, I had to make corner pieces to connect them all together. I wanted the same look as the nicely radiused corner pieces I used on the aft stateroom walls. But I didn't have any more 8/4 (~2") solid mahogany that was long enough. So I ended up making identical halves from a 4/4 board and bonded them together with epoxy, then rounded the outsides on my planer, and finished with a sander. They turned out very nice, and you can (hopefully) finally see the shape of the settee base.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Remaking the Salon Settee IV

Cheers,
Q

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Did the CAPAC fix work out? I know you confirmed the diode bad, wondering if that was the whole problem.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Aaand the trim tab smoker?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I replaced the diode. Pot 14 is now seeing voltage, but I'm unable to get the meter to read 7 to 7.5. Over the winter I'll probably replace all of the components on the board.

The trim tab smoker is still sitting near my keyboard. I haven't given up on it yet, but it's not my biggest priority right now. When I take the boat out, I just count off three Mississippis to fully deploy the tabs, then retract for the same amount of time. Seems to work ok.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

At least they ARE deployable.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Yes indeedy, JPG.

When you enter the salon on these boats, one of the first things you see is the settee. And one of the first parts of the settee you can see is a drawer that faces directly toward the salon entry door from the aft deck and aft cabin. I saved all of the original drawers, cabinet doors, etc, and this particular drawer was in rough shape. The varnish was 50+ years old, the solid mahogany front and moldings had cracks, and somebody had spilled blue paint inside. It was a mess. But I got it cleaned up pretty good, and now it has modern soft-close slides. You just have to push it within an inch of being closed and it pulls itself fully closed automatically. It's pretty slick.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Remaking the Salon Settee V

Cheers,
Q

Before

After (the camera flash makes the stain appear much redder than in real life)
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Very nice save, on the drawers, and the whole kit and caboodle !!