Post by roamer46 »

Thanks algale! It'd splash faster if you'd come help out! LOL
;-)
Q
roamer46
Platinum Member

Re: Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Post by roamer46 »

I finally installed all of the aft deck mahogany pieces I've been writing about for a couple of months. That's basically a wrap on the complex wood work out there. It turned out really nice...lots better than what we started with!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Varnishing and Installing More Aft Deck Mahogany

Cheers,
Q

After

Before (circa 2008)
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I've got sliding helm station exterior doors (mostly)!

I still need to figure out the lower door guides, prime and paint the exterior, then install the glass, but the door plan is coming together nicely.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Deck Helm Doors

Cheers,
Q

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I have no doubt you'll figure it out in great style!

Chris
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Happy New Year!

It's been a while since I had time to mess around online. My discrimination and wrongful termination suit against my former employer is moving forward, and I've been buried with thousand page affidavits, responses to affidavits, Merit System Protection Board and federal court filings. I also had to do a valve job and get the genset running on my other boat, the one we used to live aboard, in preparation for selling it this year.

Anyway, I posted an article about the aft deck canvas that I had made. It turned out real nice and is a major step toward getting the boat weather proof so we can splash later this year.

Cheers,
Q

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Deck Canvas

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Hey!

Long time no post. I've been swamped with the discrimination/wrongful termination lawsuit against my former employer. I've also been getting my other boat (a 1968 Chris Craft Commander 42) ready to put up for sale. And the missus and I have been knocking out lots of house projects. We're thinking it's time to get the heck out of the state we live in, and the current housing bubble won't last forever.

I finally caught a break from the lawsuit, and the Commander is ready for its next captain. So that left me some time to post an article about the aft stateroom doors I made for the Roamer.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Stateroom Doors

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Hey!
As people who followed this thread know, I was fired from my day job back in February 2020 and that basically brought this refit to a hard stop. I filed three different claims against my former employer, the Pesticide office of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and have been going slowly broke on lawyer fees ever since. My primary claims were: 1) sex-based discrimination, 2) hostile workplace, and 3) wrongful termination, in which 1 led to 2 and ended with 3.

I got a new supervisor in 2018. It was his first time as a supervisor, and he started abusing his power literally the second week. There were six staff in the branch, mostly young, attractive women. I was the only man. The male supervisor was extremely nice to his female staff, but he was a real jerk to me. He began piling on more and more work to the point that it was impossible to keep up, all while letting his harem of lady staffers take long lunches and spend work hours planning weddings and doing online shopping. Then he claimed my performance was unacceptable (I'd been rated Outstanding the previous six years before his arrival) and initiated the process that managers have to go through to fire federal employees.

The union was worse than useless. Other managers who were obligated to stop the discrimination claimed to see nothing wrong. Filing claims with the Office of Civil Rights started a long, drawn-out process that's still ongoing three years after it started. So that was it: I got fired. And because being fired from the government for unacceptable performance is extremely rare, it made me radioactive in the job market. So I was unemployed and unemployable since 2020, which made it virtually impossible to do anything on the Roamer refit. I eventually had to sell my other boat, a 1968 Chris Craft Commander 42, to help pay bills.

But last month we finally had the first trial before a U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Administrative Law Judge. It was a 4-day trial. My attorney did his best, but he made it clear that EEOC ALJs work for the Executive Branch and in 99% of all cases they find for the agencies, which are also in the Executive Branch. The agency's attorney was also in the Executive Branch. My attorney warned that it could take up to a year for the judge to finally issue his decision, on the principle that he'd have his clerks dig deep into previous cases to find excuses for my supervisor doing what he did.

But within two weeks he issued a bench decision that gave a bare-butt spankin' to my previous supervisor, his immediate superiors, and the EPA generally for grossly violating anti-discrimination laws and policies. The judge decided in my favor on all of the substantive claims!

Per the judge's order, we're negotiating the settlement now and should wrap it up within the next couple of weeks. My life (and the Roamer refit) will very soon be back on track! In preparation, I went and washed the boat and started figuring out what I need to do to get the boat out of the tent and splashed.

Stay tuned!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: MAJOR NEWS!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes Virginia there IS justice when rational folks make decisions.

I hope you are able to "sock" it to the idiots responsible.

And hope it sends a shock wave throughout all bureaucracies and old boy networks.

Not as notable as yesterdays 'judgement' however. ;>}
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Q,

Congratulations. It sounds like they owe you over two years back wages and benefits plus interest and damages for unjustly turning your world upside down. It may be hard to put a price on the losses you have suffered in the last couple of years. I hope things can get back to a more normal life for you soon.

Those supervisors should be terminated for cause. This judgement is definite cause.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Oh they do need to experience what thee has put up with the past two years.(unhireable!!!) AND they will not have a judgement to exonerate them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange