Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roamer46
Platinum Member

Re: Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Post by roamer46 »

I did a full walk-through yesterday in response to some requests for a video.

I think I have no videography skills, but enjoy if you can! lol

I'm off to the boatyard.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Walk-Through Video

Cheers,
Q
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

As I have said before it is a beautiful boat and you have done great work! Congrats! :)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks RF GUY!

After a long day at the boatyard, I'm beat. But it was such a great day I had to share!

I and a very competent assistant got all of the roof frames and upper structures, the shrink wrap plastic, and the frames and scaffolding on the port side removed. Tomorrow I'll tackle the starboard side. With the tent gone, I have to say...this boat is a stunning beauty! So shiny!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Dismantling Tent Model XXX

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

One of the last holes to fill on the exterior to keep rain out involved installing the mast. I'd had the mahogany clear-coated with Imron MS1 back in 2013, and the bronze parts were all rechromed back in 2010. In 2019 I assembled most of the mast, but then wrapped it up in the spring of 2023. A few days ago, I installed the mast on the cabin top. It looks really good. :-)

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Mast

Cheers,
Q

Before

After
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Well, it took three days but Tent Model XXX has officially been retired. I took all of the lumber, plywood, and screws that were still serviceable back home, along with the compressor, refrigerated air drier, and airline plumbing. My back's killing me. lol

There's a bunch of refit debris still under the boat, but I'll deal with that after the Travel Lift moves it to the water. Cleaning up the area made the boat look even better!

I've been told the marine insurance underwriters should be getting back to me with their (hopefully) approval to splash tomorrow.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Retiring Tent Model XXX part II

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

With the boat de-tented, I had two last items on my pre-splash punch list: final test fire of the engines to prove starting reliability, and then install the raw water impellers. I got both of those items done yesterday. So the only thing delaying launch now is the insurance underwriter's approval. Once I get that, I'm off to the boatyard. :-)

I can't figure out how to get video links to work correctly here, but there's a short video at the linked blog article showing both engines lighting off as seen from outside the boat.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Final Engine Test & Impeller Install

Cheers,
Q

Last pre-launch punch list item: impellers
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Pretty darn cool! I'm trying to remember if diesels generally would ordinarily start so quickly... you must be doing something right!
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks!

The Cummins engines in the boat literally start faster than my Nissan or Subaru.

With thunderstorms in the forecast for the next week, and heavy rain all day tomorrow, the launch is scheduled for Saturday morning.

Booyah
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So it is getting wet before splashing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange