Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roamer46
Platinum Member

Re: Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Post by roamer46 »

It's definitely getting wet before splashing.

And I did see that post...in fact, I posted it! But that forum is dead, as you can see from the fact that nobody replied. Fortunately, I got my answers elsewhere.

Cheers,
Q
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roamer46 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:52 am It's definitely getting wet before splashing.

And I did see that post...in fact, I posted it! But that forum is dead, as you can see from the fact that nobody replied. Fortunately, I got my answers elsewhere.

Cheers,
Q
All but the smoke part :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Well...after some drama with the Travelift, they got the Roamer over to the lift well. The bottom got wet. I discovered a small leak at one of the new Forespar Marelon seacocks. They lifted the boat clear of the water. I fixed the leak. They lowered the boat again. The fix held, but then I heard a drip...drip...drip sound from another seacock. Though the OEM Chris Craft-branded seacock for the original genset was dry and tight when I moved the boat to Deale in 2009, it developed a problem in the interim and has to be replaced.

The boat is sitting in the slings and on blocks in front of the Travelift well. I have a new Forespar seacock on the way.

This has been a disappointing day. That said, the boat did look good sitting in the water.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Splash Day! (sorta)

Cheers,
Q

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I'm sure you were disappointed to have to deal with leaks and drips but the boat looks absolutely amazing sitting on the water! I am in awe of your perseverance on this epic project and the pay off is sooooo close!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks algale!
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

When I tried to login a minute ago, I got a message telling me I'm banned here and my IP is blocked. No warning, no nothing...just banned.

But then I switched my VPN server, came back, and logged in again with no problem. Strange. I thought maybe it's because this thread is more about my boat than my ShopSmith, but I make it a point to highlight the machine every time I use it to do something no other tool of mine can do. I even had a reader of my blog comment that he bought one specifically because of my high praise. I hope I don't get banned. But if I stop posting all the sudden, that's probably why.

Anyway, while awaiting a new seacock to replace the one that leaked on Splash Day (sorta), I started digging into what's turned out to be another challenging problem from splash day: my starboard engine won't start!

I'd test fired it without an impeller in the yard a half-dozen times. On splash day, it started and ran great on the second crank. Perfect idle, good pressures, and when the Travelift operator yelled out "GOOD WATER," I knew the raw water was flowing out the exhaust the way it should. And then the engine died, which triggered the low oil pressure alarm. I hit the key, heard the starter try to engage, but it wasn't turning the engine over. Tried it again...and one more time. The engine seemed stuck.

I had a video camera rolling in the ER when I lit off the engine, so you can see exactly what happened. It's at the linked article, along with a video of Splash Day, when they had to use a big forklift to pull the Travelift out of the soft gravel. For some reason, my videos don't display here.

On the engine:
It bars over normally when I put a wrench on the alternator pulley nut, so it's not hydrolocked or catastrophically busted (probably).
Electrical connections are tight.
I checked the aftercooler and muffler--the former is dry inside and the latter has ~3" of water in it, so there's no way raw water got into the engine.
It can't be a fuel problem, because the starter engages but won't roll the engine over.

I'm stumped. Thoughts?

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Splash Day Breakdown

Cheers,
Q

Only 3" of raw water in the muffler
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Like you, sounds like, I'd be presuming one problem related to A) Died and B) Won't Crank on starter. You are sure the crank is turning over when you turn the alternator, as opposed to belt slipping? If the crank turns manually but not on the starter, I'd be thinking electrical. How much of the fuel system is electrical/electronic Vs mechanical? Some diesels have an electric fuel cutoff solenoid/valve, name escapes me for the moment, that cuts off fuel to the system (mechanical FI). Sometimes that's integrated in a mechanical injection pump, but same function. Are the lights dimming in the engine room you noted in the video common when cranking or unusual?

- David
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Hi David.

The video I posted at the linked blog article is instructive about pretty much everything. It shows exactly what happened on splash day in the engine room and answers several of your questions.

As for the crank turning when I'm barring over the alternator bolt, I'm right there watching the harmonic balancer turn. So, yes, I'm barring over the engine.

Cummins doesn't have a fuel cutoff solenoid. It has a Fuel Lock solenoid that's energized with IGN turned to the ON position, and a Fuel ON solenoid that pulls the inlet to the injector pump open with the starter. Fuel is only cut off when the Fuel Lock solenoid loses power, generally because the IGN is turned off.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

First time I lived in Europe I had a VW diesel. The glow plug controller failed in the "ON" state. It ran until depleting the battery. Superficially, the symptoms were similar to yours. It ran, died, and would not crank. Throwing this out there in case this, or something else, may have depleted the battery while it was running. I've heard of alternator shorts, but never experienced one. But if this happened it has to be something that can dissipate a lot of electrical power, likely got pretty hot.

- David
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

That's a fair theory. But I have the batteries all paralleled together, and I started and ran the port engine after the starboard problems manifested. It seems unlikely to be a battery problem.

But I'm going through the electrical system today, from key switch to the starter.

Stay tuned...